EMS CEUs - Worth it?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Over the years I've taken EMS CEUs with many different agencies under many different instructors. I find a few things consistent:
1. They always end very early. If it's scheduled to end at five, I can expect to be out by one or two.
2. If there is a test at the end, they always give out the answers or say it doesn't count.
3. It's shocking to see how many EMTs in the private service don't remember the more academic subjects, myself included.

Is it the same where you are?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unfortunately, most in house or even instructors do not know what CEU means... it is not a refresher; rather it is a continuing education. Something new, to bring to the knowledge of other. Reviewing is fine to brush up on, but the CEU should be something on top of that.

Again, most in-house instructors do not read new ideas or procedures, as well as many have the mind-set.. " we are not going to do it here, therefore; Why should I have to know this?"... which make it difficult on both sides...

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
great points, I agree with both of you. It's funny, I work in ems and volunteer for a small out of the way fire department. According to state regulations, we are not required to do any continuing firefighter education. Ironically, I rarely end up doing much required ems con-ed (beyond the standard card recerts), but we do fire relating training almost weekly. Kind of sad really...

This makes me think that if you really want to change ems for the better, you have to change the culture. Not just make new rules and regulations.

Last edited by a moderator: