EMS and relationships

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Delete my post. Probably wasn't family friendly enough forthe boards. Lol

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Here's the middle school version of "my ex is now married to my old partner". This is what I had to deal with today.B)

A and B dated for a whole 3 months. (That's a long time, if you're 13.) B decides that C might be more fun to kiss, so B and C proceed to start necking. Smack in the middle of my classroom, during study hall, where everyone can see.

I have a squirt bottle for stuff like this, so it ended fast, but not before A walked by in the hall and saw it. A big fat girl fight resulted and I had to sweep up hair weave from my floor. :(

A and B have my last class of the day together, and I'm still not sure how B didn't get his stupid self killed. He sat there the whole 90min and made comments about C's kissing ability.

A fine display of what in anthropology is known as "mating behavior."

Aren't primates fun?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
My wife and I met in paramedic school. We've been married a little over 7 years now.

It's nice to have someone who understands but at times EMS tends to dominate our life. Doesn't help that we're both supervisors so work tends to follow us home.

I think it all depends on the people. Right now we have 7 married couples in our area and more than I count company wide. I havnt really noticed any employees that are dating.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
A fine display of what in anthropology is known as "mating behavior."

Aren't primates fun?

I wish the primates' parents would have taught them where it was appropriate to display that practice mating behavior.

And it is *so* practice behavior because if it's not, my job gets infinitely more "fun" 3-5 months later when everyone figures out that they've skipped the practicing part. :wacko:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
From my experience.... I would have to say that my non-ems relation has lasted way longer than my EMS ex relation. It had to do with personality types. Yes, we understood things, we ran call together, and worked well together... but we knocked heads more than we cared for. I met her doing EMS.

My current wife of a gazillion years has some medical knowledge, but no real clue what I do each day, but understands that we both need a shoulder and space at times without explaining why... and we are good with that. I leave work at work, and home at home. I met her in the mountains far from civilization. Yeee haw.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown does not see EMS harming Browns relationship with Mrs Brown

Mind you being a blind bugger, Brown doesn't see that well so who knows ....

skills82

Forum Crew Member
My fiance is not in EMS, but is an ultrasound tech. Its nice having someone in the medical field so we can talk about things and understand each other. Its funny how our families ask about the crazy things we have seen and done. Then again when I take her out to dinner we have to make sure we aren't talking to loud since many people out there can't stomach what is talked about while they eat.

I will have to say I do enjoy having someone that is in the medical field that can relate and be there for those tough times.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
All very interesting. I come from the airline business where most folks date and eventually marry other people in the airline business. Mostly it works out this way because people outside of the business don't understand how the job works so it avoids issues down the road. Unfortunately it also causes a lot of AIDS cases (Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome). Sounds like things aren't all that different in the EMS/Medical field.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
All very interesting. I come from the airline business where most folks date and eventually marry other people in the airline business. Mostly it works out this way because people outside of the business don't understand how the job works so it avoids issues down the road. Unfortunately it also causes a lot of AIDS cases (Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome). Sounds like things aren't all that different in the EMS/Medical field.
Switch airline for ambulance in that acronym and it is very accurate for EMS too.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I met my husband in 1992, and we started dating in 1994. We got married in 2000, and spent that decade replicating.

We've been in or around EMS the whole time, and have a great marriage.

Putrid Existence

Forum Probie
My girlfriend of 3 years (she's an RN) works at one of the hospitals I'm having my ER clinicals at, if that's worth anything. I'm constantly talking her ear off about what I've been learning in school, and she's definitely helped me learn and understand a lot of things. Let's just see how things go after I graduate and, hopefully, get a job (and apply to my school's paramedic program, but that's for later).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've dated EMTs, fooled around with EMTs and nurses, dated people who worked in the ER, and dated people outside of emergency services.

I got to say, I have had longer relationships with people outside of EMS, outside of the healthcare system, and emergency services. and hopefully will be marrying someone who doesn't work in EMS.

It is a little hard, since I work FT nights and she worked monday to friday 9am to 5pm. but she has gotten used to my schedule, and I gotten used to hers. it's all about compromise and adjusting to your other half's life, which you need to do in every relationship.

Not that I didn't have a lot of fun with the EMS and ER staff :p

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
My current girlfriend is a part-time EMT for the service I work at, which doesn't really concern me all too much since she's in PA school.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Girlfriend is a teacher...I actually like it that she doesn't ask about the specifics of my day.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I met my exboyfriend because of EMS.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Current GF is an EMT, met her on a water rescue call. We are both on the regional water rescue team. Shes a rescue swimmer (re: surface rescue/lifeguard) and im a Diver (re:recovery!) We are both EMTs who work 911 too. Shes my first "in-field" relationship and i love it. Its lasted longer then any other relationship ive ever had. She understand when i say "i dont want to talk about it right now" and lets me go. Non Emergency responding personnel dont get that. Shes also far more accepting of the job risks then outsiders

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
I met mine a bit before I went into EMT school. Been dating for 2 years come June. She's been very supportive, and we've talked about what may or may not come about on the job. She's studying to be a dietrician, and even though I've joked at her to go for her RN or be an EMT too, I think she's just as content with me doing all that and her being oblivious to what happens in an ambulance.

She likes to be let in a lot, but she also understands the "I don't want to talk about it" syndrome.

She's also the only woman I've dated longer then a month :p