EMS Ambulance Government Contracts

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Have you guys heard of any goverment contracts?

Any information on the web?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Federal, State, Local?????

Could you be more specific? Most EMS agencies operate under a government contract of some sort or another, i.e. city, municipality, or 3rd government.........................

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Federal, State and Local. The more information the better.

how do you obtain this information? is there a website?

Federal, State, Local?????

Could you be more specific? Most EMS agencies operate under a government contract of some sort or another, i.e. city, municipality, or 3rd government.........................

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Seshan,
I assume you are still pursuing your marketing of equipment. Asking a vague question like.. 'have we heard of government contracts' will not give you the information you need.

Of course I've heard of government contracts. I've had to fill them as a supplier, and had to have them filled as a government agency.

Its not like there is one place where all those government type contracts are posted and all you need to do is go there and toss your name into the pot.

You know what.. I just deleted a long post that would educate you on what is involved with government contracts and the selection of suppliers for a governmental entity pool. I deleted it because I don't feel its my responsiblity to educate you for the job you are probably being paid to perform. If you don't have this information, or the wherewithal to figure it out on your own, then you should probably step aside and give your job to someone with those skills.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
BossyCow,

I understand where you are coming from. But even when you are new to something you can look for guidance, which is what i am looking for. Since I am very limited to this side of the industry i look to all the good people at EMT life for direction.

I just won a government contract a few days ago. Therefore I am very capable of doing this job.

Thank you for your concerns.

Seshan,
I assume you are still pursuing your marketing of equipment. Asking a vague question like.. 'have we heard of government contracts' will not give you the information you need.

Of course I've heard of government contracts. I've had to fill them as a supplier, and had to have them filled as a government agency.

Its not like there is one place where all those government type contracts are posted and all you need to do is go there and toss your name into the pot.

You know what.. I just deleted a long post that would educate you on what is involved with government contracts and the selection of suppliers for a governmental entity pool. I deleted it because I don't feel its my responsiblity to educate you for the job you are probably being paid to perform. If you don't have this information, or the wherewithal to figure it out on your own, then you should probably step aside and give your job to someone with those skills.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Not to be rude, but I hope you are able to give better information than you have here. Government contract on what ... supplies, coverage, employees, consulting? There are only about a million variables here... You want assistance then be more specific..

R/r 911

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Yes i was very vague in my question. Let me try again.

When governments spec items on their contracts for new vehicles, and equiptment are these contracts awarded to manufacturers, or are they awarded to EMT stations/hubs (not sure of the correct terminology)?

I am assuming from BossyCows response that these contracts are not publacized anywhere and the only way to know about these are by being in contact with the right people.

I just won a gov contract which fell on my lap. I am interested in finding more information but am having a hard time finding out where to start.

Not to be rude, but I hope you are able to give better information than you have here. Government contract on what ... supplies, coverage, employees, consulting? There are only about a million variables here... You want assistance then be more specific..

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you were awarded a government contract it usually is written specifically with the understanding or terminology what is required, where and what is demanded. Usually, there is very little for openness for a reason.

Again, not attempting to be rude but it appears that you are not very aware of the EMS as a business itself. If you are a manufacture for EMS vehicles, most of the EMS units are spec' out as where and the need is. For example most are not "blanketed" contracts. A EMS unit in the Rockies is much differently spec'd out than those for say in the desert. A four wheel drive and the one that requires a heavy duty air conditioning unit. As well, I know of some Indian Health Services (IHS) that make long distance transfers that require larger fuel tanks, dual oxygen storage units, and specific conditions. Again, the point of the specifications.

Now, without being too personal; what type of contract i.e units, specific equipment (such as suction, monitor(s), radio's, etc... ?

R/r 911

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
To be honest, our companies have ignored the EMS business which is why they have appointed me to this position. I am basically starting from scratch so i do appreciate your patience as i try to figure things out.

The contract that I recieved included things such as suction, gas regulators, and flowmeters. Ideally these would be the contracts i would be after. But i would also like to get an idea of the whole process. I am not just about the $$$, as i want the knowledge and understanding behind it as well.

If you were awarded a government contract it usually is written specifically with the understanding or terminology what is required, where and what is demanded. Usually, there is very little for openness for a reason.

Again, not attempting to be rude but it appears that you are not very aware of the EMS as a business itself. If you are a manufacture for EMS vehicles, most of the EMS units are spec' out as where and the need is. For example most are not "blanketed" contracts. A EMS unit in the Rockies is much differently spec'd out than those for say in the desert. A four wheel drive and the one that requires a heavy duty air conditioning unit. As well, I know of some Indian Health Services (IHS) that make long distance transfers that require larger fuel tanks, dual oxygen storage units, and specific conditions. Again, the point of the specifications.

Now, without being too personal; what type of contract i.e units, specific equipment (such as suction, monitor(s), radio's, etc... ?

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would ask to contact the purchaser or whomever is issuing/awarding the grant(s) to see who the supplier/manufacture of the EMS vehicles will be. For example Braun, Wheeled Coach etc., so that you can meet your specifics and as well they encompass your spec's and theirs at the same time. They should be able to assist you to be able to complete their project too.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Cannot comment on your government contracts, other than i hope they are not the same ours, whereby the cheapest tender gets the jobs, or the pesron who greases the palms of those awarding the contracts the most gets the job!! (Just some humour!!)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I totally agree. I think the cheapest tender is what gets the contract.

Depends totally on the contract, the item and the agency. Some government bids have language in them to toss the lowest and highest bidder and to choose from the ones clustered together in the middle. The thinking behind this is that the high bidder is gouging you, the low bidder forgot something and the guys in the middle are the most accurate.

There is also something called 'sole source procurement' where the agency can award the contract without bidding it out because the one they feel will suit their needs comes from a particular supplier.

Many agencies belong to buying groups. These groups negotiate as a group for prices and then throughout the term of the agreement, anywhere from a year to several years, all members of the group must purchase a certain percentage of their supplies on the contract. This is referred to as a 'Government Entity Supply Pool' or a Purchasing Group among other names. Amerinet is a group purchasing entity used by a lot of hospitals. It removes the hassle of sending every little thing out to bid which can be a very costly process.

Different agencies also have different limits on what may and what must be sent out for bid. The ceiling keeps raising with the prices. So an agency that is purchasing a fleet of 5 more ambulances may have to follow different rules than a small district purchasing a defib unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Bossy,

Adda boy! thanks for the information!

Depends totally on the contract, the item and the agency. Some government bids have language in them to toss the lowest and highest bidder and to choose from the ones clustered together in the middle. The thinking behind this is that the high bidder is gouging you, the low bidder forgot something and the guys in the middle are the most accurate.

There is also something called 'sole source procurement' where the agency can award the contract without bidding it out because the one they feel will suit their needs comes from a particular supplier.

Many agencies belong to buying groups. These groups negotiate as a group for prices and then throughout the term of the agreement, anywhere from a year to several years, all members of the group must purchase a certain percentage of their supplies on the contract. This is referred to as a 'Government Entity Supply Pool' or a Purchasing Group among other names. Amerinet is a group purchasing entity used by a lot of hospitals. It removes the hassle of sending every little thing out to bid which can be a very costly process.

Different agencies also have different limits on what may and what must be sent out for bid. The ceiling keeps raising with the prices. So an agency that is purchasing a fleet of 5 more ambulances may have to follow different rules than a small district purchasing a defib unit.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
OP, can you please help some of us understand why you are seemingly trying to pry tidbits of information out of us? Your posts are raising some flags, and maybe people will be willing to help you if you explain in detail what your looking for and why.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
I think I already touched on this. In short, I work for Ohio Medical and we have finally started a Ambulance Department. This is a brand new department consisting of one person and I am trying to understand your industry a little better by asking the professionals (you). What better way to get an understanding of the industry?

Basically in a nutshell, we are a medical manufacturer that can offer products at manufacturing prices. From what I understand alot of you purchse products that have been marked up as you are purchasing these from a distributor. Why not save some money and buy it directly from the manufacturer?

I have never advertised any products to you all on this site, but I am using this medium to get a better idea of how things work in this industry and to get some feedback on some of our innovative products that I am introducing to ambulance manufacturers. You are the endusers, so your opinions matter the most.

Hope this helps.

OP, can you please help some of us understand why you are seemingly trying to pry tidbits of information out of us? Your posts are raising some flags, and maybe people will be willing to help you if you explain in detail what your looking for and why.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Bossy,

Adda boy! thanks for the information!

I'm a girl and I still think that if you are being paid to do this, you should already have known this information. It's pretty standard stuff.