EMS Alabama

rescu

Forum Probie
Hi,

My wife and I are wanting to move to pensacola florida, however after looking at the 2 levels they offer is basic and paramedic and the very limited scope of a basic I'm having second thoughts. I currently live in indiana as an advanced.

I was looking at alabama and see the the scope is much broader and something I would enjoy to do, some towns in alabama not being very far from pensacola at all (30 mins or less).

How is the ems in alabama, fire based, hospital based or both? Also the pay range and are the nremt honoring or just state. Any input would help, thanks.

OP
OP
R

rescu

Forum Probie
I'm currently an emt advanced in indiana and planning to make a move close to mobile alabama soon. Just wanted to know a little about ems in bama.

They honor national registry, however the advanced in alabama has an increased scope compared to indiana. Will I take a bridge course or when I take the national will it include all those things. However even though I take a test and pass it dosen;t mean i will feel comfortable with performing the actual things on scene.

Also hows the pay and how is the ems based, in fire departments or hospital based, or maybe both.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm currently an emt advanced in indiana and planning to make a move close to mobile alabama soon. Just wanted to know a little about ems in bama.

They honor national registry, however the advanced in alabama has an increased scope compared to indiana. Will I take a bridge course or when I take the national will it include all those things. However even though I take a test and pass it dosen;t mean i will feel comfortable with performing the actual things on scene.

Also hows the pay and how is the ems based, in fire departments or hospital based, or maybe both.

Didnt you post this in employment also?

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant

Didn't you just post this same thing about Florida a few days ago? You're better off contacting the state in regards to transferring your cert. The result of the other thread was two different answers.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi,

My wife and I are wanting to move to pensacola florida, however after looking at the 2 levels they offer is basic and paramedic and the very limited scope of a basic I'm having second thoughts. I currently live in indiana as an advanced.

I was looking at alabama and see the the scope is much broader and something I would enjoy to do, some towns in alabama not being very far from pensacola at all (30 mins or less).

How is the ems in alabama, fire based, hospital based or both? Also the pay range and are the nremt honoring or just state. Any input would help, thanks.

Mobile or Baldwin County would be where you are talking about. Alabama does recognize regsitry but as for the Advanced EMT stuff call the state EMS office. They are very helpful and easy to deal with.

If nothing has changed in Baldwin County in the 2 1/2 years Ive been gone here is how it is. The majority of the county is serviced by Med Star. This is a family owned private company that is decent to work for. Nice/newer equipment and involved family owners. Most of their employees are happy. No idea on what the pay is.

The northern part of the county is served by North Baldwin EMS. I dont know much about them or who runs it. This is a newer group that wasnt open for too long prior to when I moved.

In Mobile there is AMR, Life Guard and Newman's for the privates. The city fire dept handles all of the ALS 911 in the city and rolls the BLS 911 over to the private services. The privates each do a 24 hour rotation. Life Guard is currently off the rotation for reponse issues.

Mobile County is served by Mobile County EMS. They are a not-for profit group that recieves a subsidy from the county every year to operate. Decent equipment, good pay. So-so management. This was originally an all-volunteer orginazation that transitioned to being fully paid in the last year.

AMR is AMR. They are run hard and treated like a number not a person.

Life Guard is pretty decent and some friends of mine work there. Of the 3 privates Id pick this one.

Newmans is a family owned place that has been around 60+ years. Alot of EMTs in Mobile start at Newmans and leave at the first decent opportunity. Pay is so-so, equipment is older. Ill stop now.

Another option is to live in Mobile and drive over to coastal Mississippi and work for Acadian or AMR. This is what I did for 6 years and it was worth it.

OP
OP
R

rescu

Forum Probie
Alabama

Yes I did just post this about florida however I found those answers and the plans changed to our moving location based on florida only have basics and medics. So we are going to move to mobile which is about an hour or so from pensacola.

I have already contacted the state about the important issues regarding transferring cert and tests needed to take however I was wanting tips to people who currently work in alabama, the kind of things the state either does not want to say or has no idea how to answer. For instance, type of jobs availible and pay.

OP
OP
R

rescu

Forum Probie
Wow bunch of information, very helpful exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
Mobile or Baldwin County would be where you are talking about. Alabama does recognize regsitry but as for the Advanced EMT stuff call the state EMS office. They are very helpful and easy to deal with.

Thanks for the insight. My son is moving down there with his family and I've been scoping out the EMS in the area for information purposes.

I'm not currently interested in employment down there, but you never know and it's nice to have information.