EMS Abbreviations

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
so im just trying to learn all the abbreviations commonly used. I know a few of the more basic ones but not all. So any abbreviations that anyone uses a lot and may not be well known please post them.
For example, the other day i had a ride along and when i was done the medics i ride with have to fill out an evaluation form and the medic wrote, o (with a horizontal line over it) and i was wondering what it stands for?

medic417

The Truth Provider

traumaangel26

Forum Crew Member
It is easier to just write what you want to say. On my med reports I use only one abbreviation A&Ox4. Its in all the text books. If you spell things out you are less likely to face a lawyer.:p

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
It is easier to just write what you want to say. On my med reports I use only one abbreviation A&Ox4. Its in all the text books. If you spell things out you are less likely to face a lawyer.:p

I'm with you on this. I write it so almost any layperson can read it. They might not understand big words like "diapharetic," but they'll at least be able to read it.

Sometimes I'll shorten words, like "Breathing difficulty" getting shortened to "breathing diff." People still get the gist.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Also...don't use medical abbreviations verbally..

Saturday we brought in a shortness of breath patient.

The nurse asked "Is this the S.O.B?" The patient got offended even after we tried explaining S.O.B means shortness of breath

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Also...don't use medical abbreviations verbally..

Saturday we brought in a shortness of breath patient.

The nurse asked "Is this the S.O.B?" The patient got offended even after we tried explaining S.O.B means shortness of breath

I did that once.

And in my experience, VentMedic, as long as the spelling is close it's not a huge deal. Yeah, you look like a fool in front of your peers, but people can still read it.

I can't spell "diarrhea" to save my life, for instance, but "diareaha" usually gets the point across.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Here are a few links about medical spelling errors and slang usage.

Commonly misspelled medical terms:
http://www.meditec.com/commonly-misspelled-words.html

Added: diaphoretic - diapharetic

http://www.mcraonline.com/bsr-misspell.shtml

This link lists common slang and also makes suggestions as to what should be spelled out. Many slang terms are not acceptable for documentation. Unfortunately they may be used so commonly in medical speak that some will forget they are slang OR they just learned the slang terms and not the proper names.
http://www.mt911.com/site/term/medical_slang.asp

There are also regional differnces as well as the context it is used in for slang such the term "Dart". It may mean needle decompression or a slang for sedating a combative patient.

It is also wise to take into consideration as to what slang or trade names that has previously be acceptable may no longer be used. Ambu bag is now BVM (Bag Valve Mask) or resuscitation bag. New RT and nursing students are no longer being taught "Ambu" since it refers to a specific manufacturer. Some hospitals may use different brands and just saying "Ambu" may get you the wrong bag if you wanted the Jackson-Reese which is a very different resuscitaton bag. There are also differences within references to self inflating and non-self inflating bags.

Another example: Swan Ganz Catheter is now PA or Pulmonary Artery Catheter.

In summary, spelling is extemely important and there should be not guessing by those reading your report as to what you meant. "Close" also doesn't count when writing the names of medication or the dosages and that has been the source of many medical errors, some fatal.

Perfect your craft and learn the correct spellings. It is okay to carry a cheat sheet for words that you commonly have problems with and use often.