Employment help

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Hello, I am a MA EMT and I have two questions. The first is I applied to Alert about a month ago and I was told I would be contacted and so far nothing. Should I call and see what is happening with my application? My second question is I am having trouble finding any private ambulance services to apply for that are not 45+ minutes away from me. I live in Attleboro which is a city almost on the border to RI. I checked through pages of different companies and only found Alert to be a close one. I was wondering if anyone knew of any close ones to me. I have done a lot of searching even going through all places that OEMS lists on their website of licenses for ambulances but came up with nothing. I am right now waiting to take my NREMT test so I can start applying in RI but I wanted to ask and make sure I didn't miss any ambulance companies I could apply to. Thank you.

dpopkin

Forum Probie
i worked for alert for a lil there ok try eascare

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Don't be afraid to call Alert to check up on your application. You should be calling them every other week to check on your application and on the weeks you don't call go in person to see them so they can put a face to your name. Don't be annoying just be persistant about it.

Also you may very well have to make a little drive to find work. Just depends on how bad you want it. That is just my opinion.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
You may have to accept a long commute if that's what it takes to get hired. I'm driving about 45 minutes to work now, so are many of my co-workers. It doesn't seem very long when you work a 12-hr. shift and drive around for most of it anyway. :)

Combat_Medic

Forum Crew Member
Sometimes you got to drive a while to get the job you want. Back when I ran EMS I drove 2 hrs to work. It was the only place hiring 911 emt-b's. I worked it out with the boss though. I worked 72 hrs stright. I came on shift at 0800 tue and got off 0800 fri.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, I am a MA EMT and I have two questions. The first is I applied to Alert about a month ago and I was told I would be contacted and so far nothing. Should I call and see what is happening with my application? My second question is I am having trouble finding any private ambulance services to apply for that are not 45+ minutes away from me. I live in Attleboro which is a city almost on the border to RI. I checked through pages of different companies and only found Alert to be a close one. I was wondering if anyone knew of any close ones to me. I have done a lot of searching even going through all places that OEMS lists on their website of licenses for ambulances but came up with nothing. I am right now waiting to take my NREMT test so I can start applying in RI but I wanted to ask and make sure I didn't miss any ambulance companies I could apply to. Thank you.

Looks as though you will either move closer to a company, find one close or, learn to enjoy the ride. 45 mins. isn't too bad. The hunt has just started. Give it time. Good luck. :)

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
Kinda ditto with everyone else here. if you want in might have to drive a bit till you can get the experience and get what you want to do .

OP
OP
M

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Alright, I guess I might have to commute if I can't find a Rhode Island job. I was just trying to find a close place because I'm starting my first year of college and can't afford to move or anything.

feldy

Forum Captain
Yeah i just posted on another thread about long commutes if you really want the job. Also depends on where you are going to college, you school may have their own EMS you could do...it may/most likely wont be paid though.

Where r u going to school?

OP
OP
M

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I am going to Bristol Community College for two years then I plan on transfering to Bridgewater State College.

feldy

Forum Captain
yeah there arent that many private companies out that way. Look at Alert and Eascare. Also look at some local hospitals for ER tech positions. And while most FDs look only for FF/EMTs or FF/medics, it cant hurt to give them a call.

Im going into my second year of school and really want to find a job too. I just landed a volunteer position with the city (new orleans) which im pretty happy about (for experience, i wish i got paid b.c they pay well). Its tough out there. Good Luck.