"Emergency!" Fans

Rescue51

Forum Probie
This is probably a dumb question, since most of you are medics, but is anyone else out there a fan of "Emergency!"? I am in love with this show, and it's the reason why I want to be a medic!!! I also have a youtube account dedicated to it if anyone's interested. http://www.youtube.com/user/Emergency1996?feature=mhee

~Rescue51

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I enjoy watching it from time, but I can't say I'm a die hard fan.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Randolph Mantooth was a keynote speaker at my paramedic academy graduation. We watched an episode everyday during lunch break. It was quite interesting to see him in person.

mm505

Forum Crew Member
We used to watch the show while on duty just to pick out their mistakes!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Second mm505, except we'd shout out as though they could hear us.

"Don't leave the Porta-Power!!!".

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I still love emergency. One of my last partners was in his 20s and had never seen the show. Sacrilege.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Rescue51, respond!

...just keep in mind, that was a completely different landscape back then and any dreams you may have of entering a world like that when you enter the field are sure to be shattered!

I do think, though that it has a lot to teach us all about EMS. Here's a fun exercise that'll teach you a little about the industry and put the show in perspective as a sketch of early high hopes:

Make a list of all the drugs and therapies that Johnny and Roy use to resuscitate people.

(Note the specific drugs that the story-lines have implied saved those lives.)

Subtract from them the drugs and therapies amongst them that are no longer being used.

(Note the specific drugs and therapies that have been banned as dangerous!)

See what's left.

Since you're gonna be watching the show a lot and I won't, I thought maybe you could teach us something:)!

OP
OP
Rescue51

Rescue51

Forum Probie
...just keep in mind, that was a completely different landscape back then and any dreams you may have of entering a world like that when you enter the field are sure to be shattered!

I do think, though that it has a lot to teach us all about EMS. Here's a fun exercise that'll teach you a little about the industry and put the show in perspective as a sketch of early high hopes:

Make a list of all the drugs and therapies that Johnny and Roy use to resuscitate people.

(Note the specific drugs that the story-lines have implied saved those lives.)

Subtract from them the drugs and therapies amongst them that are no longer being used.

(Note the specific drugs and therapies that have been banned as dangerous!)

See what's left.

Since you're gonna be watching the show a lot and I won't, I thought maybe you could teach us something:)!

I'll try that when I can. Thnx!

mycrofft

Hey OP start your first poll. Ask about their age and if the show inspired responders to start in EMS.

mycrofft

Yep. "Original Poster", person who started the thread.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Right after you start an IV of D5w TKO, give 2 amps of sodium bicarb and insert an esophageal airway...

While using an old Datascope MD 2 monitor /defib and pitting the paddles by rubbing them together to spread the electrolyte jelly!!! I really am surprised we actually saved anyone back in the day... but we did, sometimes... with luck :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I really am surprised we actually saved anyone back in the day... but we did, sometimes... with luck :)

Some of those :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s survived despite my best efforts of dumping every antiarrhythmic in the ACLS algorithm in them in less than 15 minutes from arriving on scene.