EJ's

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
plus EJ's are so easy. Like getting water out of a pond with a straw.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
What is with all this EJ stuff. Real medics just get the AC's. I don't need a EJ.

Spoken like a probie...( unless you were stating for fun...) True A/C's are great, most patients in decompensated shock will not have enough PVR to display A/C's.. as well since it should be cannulated with a large bore (14g or greater) one can administer blood and fluids without compromise.

After being exposed to many patients with several past history (i.e diabetes) vasculature is difficult to see or find..

R/r 911

VinBin

Forum Captain
plus EJ's are so easy. Like getting water out of a pond with a straw.

Unless they are very obese, and it always seems the ones who need EJ's are the ones who are > 60 tons...

And on that note, any tips on getting EJ's on the larger pt's??

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Unless they are very obese, and it always seems the ones who need EJ's are the ones who are > 60 tons...

And on that note, any tips on getting EJ's on the larger pt's??

Yeah, stand them on thier head, tie a rope around thier neck and there stands a beautiful EJ just winking at ya!!! lol

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Performing EJ's on grossly obese and those with "no-neck or bull neck".
Some of the 'tricks of the trade" I have found is to slight pull down the arms and shoulders, place a rolled towel under the shoulder, then turn the head to the side. Many people forget trendelenburg will also aid in increasing venous filling.

I realize obese patients are hard to stick, I have tried to remember the "navel" (nerve, artery, vein, empty space, ligament) acronym where the jugular can be found anatomically. This also helps locating it...

I personally have found chest wall veins are prominent on some obese. I established one yesterday just above the breast MCL, worked great (20g).

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow...

I save the touniquet around the neck for the really annoying patient, or partner ;)

firemedic

Forum Ride Along
I am fairly new to being a paramedic, but I was taught not to use a tourniquet for an ej. An ej is done by sight and feel.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow...

I save the touniquet around the neck for the really annoying patient, or partner ;)

Quick! hide the touniquets and duct tape from Jon and Rid!!!^_^ :p ^_^

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I am fairly new to being a paramedic, but I was taught not to use a tourniquet for an ej. An ej is done by sight and feel.

So that's what we have been doing wrong. Thanks :rolleyes: