EJ's

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I was performing an EJ last night, and I had major problems with this one. Do you have any better suggestions as far as tourniquet placement for this precedure other than around the neck???!!!

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I have started numerous successful EJ's without the use of a tourniquet, in fact I think they are contraindiacted. I have always been taught and heard that if you cant see it you cant sitck it, and whip the adult IO device out.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
When they discuss "tourniqueting" for an EJ of course they do not mean literally as such. Tourniqueting is performed by two approved measures:
Applying pressure proximal or closure to the chest and allowing the vein to engorge and the same time if possible to place in a slight trendelenburg position will allow the vein to engorge.

The other method I use quite often is the "stethoscope" method; where you place your stethoscope around the neck (like you were wearing it) and allow the tubing to drape across the neck near the supraclavicular area, this too allows the vein to engorge.

Some patients (especially hypovolemic) may not have visible external jugular distention; so having a very good in-depth of anatomy helps.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
13 loops in the noose. uh I mean Tourniquet.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Jeepmedic, I swear you are just a little nuts for therapeutic levels!! :p

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Jeepmedic, I swear you are just a little nuts for therapeutic levels!! :p

You haven't seen nothing yet! LOL Wait till he, Fedmedic and Prizenmedic all three get going at the same time! They are better than TV! LOL Just think... I came up through the hoops with these guys!! Poor me!!!

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
The last time I started an EJ, I had to do it quick....they were almost blue before I could get the tubing attached and release the tourniquet.....hmmm...I wonder if I did that right?

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
"Almost" so they were still OK.

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
The last time I started an EJ, I had to do it quick....they were almost blue before I could get the tubing attached and release the tourniquet.....hmmm...I wonder if I did that right?

Ya know, that's the same problem I had!!! Do you think we were taught right?

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
didn't **** teach you. Then Nope

Nope... actually I was taught by a certain medic you can find now riding the halls of the local nursing home riding his black leather seated power chair with his strobe light on the front and the little horn that goes "booka booka"!!! Right Fed? Isn't that what your horn sounds like? "Booka Booka"

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
How did he teach you he can't even see a EJ.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
He got them Harry Cary glasses. You know the Coke bottle bottoms.

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
He got them Harry Cary glasses. You know the Coke bottle bottoms.

Yeah he did the last time I went to visit him, but I heard that he got to do away with them after his recent surgery!!! And what do you know... he got him a Dell laptop now at that nursing home since he can see, he is now on myspace... the pic he posted on there was taken about 40 years ago... he just wants everyone to think he is still young and can get the ladies... well he can... he got up with Inez last night so I hear at the home! They were both going "booka Booka!" all night!! LOL