Eeesh...what was that?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
FT - I have seen people with bovine grafts on on side, the ones you describe are usually known as a "straight graft". The look more like fistulas than grafts.

the bruit kinda sounds like a Sloshing/whirling sound right?

now ive seen patients with both a Shunt on their forearm and a Quinn Catheter on their chest. why do they have both?

There are a ton of reasons. The fistula may be new and not fully developed. Or new and the pt is transitioning to using the fistula (they will slowly use the fistula more and cath less). Or new and they want to make sure it works without any problems. It may be infected, clotted, or the pt could be pre or post revision surgery. Etc....

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
the bruit kinda sounds like a Sloshing/whirling sound right?

now ive seen patients with both a Shunt on their forearm and a Quinn Catheter on their chest. why do they have both?

Yes, to me the bruit sounds kind of like a rush of water or "shhhhhhhshhh" sound. Not a very professional definition.

A lot of patients may have multiple access sites if an old one has failed. It is also common for a patient to use a catheter temporarily until a new fistula becomes viable. Catheters are generally limited to temporary use due to the great risk of infection.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The quality of the dialysis treatment is also worse with a catheter than a fistula/graft.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
While it's been a few years, I distinctly recall the feeling of those dialysis fistulas. It's a little odd the first couple times you feel them. Many of the dialysis patients I used to transport have had several access sites put in over the years.

As to the swollen arm in the OP's post? Well, there are a number of reasons why that can happen. When the hospital staff asks me not to take vitals on that arm... I do as they ask. Why? Simple. I don't want to cause further problems down the road. Taking a BP on a swollen arm can cause a number of problems. If one arm has a PICC in place and the other arm is good, I'll use the other arm. If the PICC arm is the better of the two, I'll use the PICC arm.

It's good that you're learning about these things. The more you see stuff, the quicker you'll pick up on them in the future.