Education levels

Do you agree with the first post

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Just a little different perspective:

I have a BA, Business Mgmt. Got through part of my MBA years ago and decided I'd rather eat glass. I currently work in a senior professional level job in field related to my degree. I don't love it, but it pays the bills.

I've been interested in EMS for several years but couldn't afford the time/energy/money it would take to get the education required, minimal though it might be. I also cannot afford to quit my job to do EMS full time, now or probably ever.
You have an MBA, which is expensive, and you also state at the end of this post that doesn't help you? Are you in the right profession or just grasping at something to pay the bill?

The training I took for a Basic certificate was two semesters at a Community College. Two and then three days a week, 4 hours class, and 72 hours of clinical rotations. I feel completely unprepared to do the job right now, but I'm not sure what else they could have taught me in school..I just need to do it.

You truly can not call this a 2 semester course load. It is essentially the equivalent of taking one class per semester instead of 4 - 5 which is about 12 - 16 credit hours.

Maybe its because I live in a rural area, but a big percentage of the people I know in EMS do it part time, volunteer, not as a full time job.

That is a whole other topic and by you giving your services by free could be one of the reasons some cities and counties feel they shouldn't pay EMTs more than minimum wage if they do become paid employees.

While I agree with the need for those in any profession at all to be able to string words together, and for EMS to understand how the human body works, if you are talking about adding one or two more A&P/Pharm/Biology type classes, no problem. If you're talking about adding the whole "Gen Ed" requirement, I don't agree. There's no way that taking a Fine Arts class is going to improve someone's EMS skills.

Why not just have a basic level of reading/writing/math and science that must be met to start a program? Those who do need the brush up will be required to get it. Those who can already do the basics can focus their limited time and energy on the subjects that really do matter.

We now only need a basic level of reading, writing and math which is why the text books are written at a 10th grade or less level.

I know people who have degrees in art history who are working in a coffee house that don't think their 4 or 6 year degree was a waste because if one truly appreciates education they can always find some use and good out of it. Even those Fine Arts classes can enrich your life some way.

EMS is a relatively low paying job in general, Basic especially so. If I'd been required to go through the whole AA/AS degree, there's no way I'd have done it and I think a lot of people would have made the same decision. It's just not worth it financially or time-wise for people who are working volunteer positions.

But then you have stated you don't have time to make this your primary profession. You appear to just want to do the minimum to do some volunteer work. While I am normally quiet when it comes to volunteer discussions, you have just given the best reasons why volunteers are not looked at as professionals which also has it consequences for those in EMS that do take the profession seriously.

FWIW, I don't think my degree helps me in my day job either..it allowed me to get the job, but I learned next to nothing in 124 credit hours that I actually use. Most of what I know is based on experience. I have to think EMS will be the same way, except that the things I learned in class actually pertain to the job.

You have not done EMS professionally. "Thinking" and "doing" EMS professionally full time are two very different concepts.

Again, it just seems as if you are grasping into thin air for what you think is a perfect job with the least amount of effort. If you have not seen any benefit from any of your education, then maybe you are not putting any effort into it and are just one of those "get by" kind of people.

Overall, you write as if you are not happy in your paid career but don't want to put any effort other than being a volunteer for EMS which you can come and go at will. Your standards for professionalism may not be what many in EMS are striving for.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I checked the Centennial College web site and with that program after they graduate from the Centennial College portion they are eligible for licensing as primary care paramedics. I think after they complete the portion at U of T in Scarborough and get the Bachelor of Science in Paramedicine they may be eligible for advanced care paramedic licensing.

This is the path I will be taking starting in 2010-2011 academic year. I picked that time to start instead of the coming academic year because I need to get into shape. instead of a few months to get in shape I will have a year and a few months to do it.