ECW/Taser Patient Management

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How can you expect a leo to do both medicine and law/safety? Leo's don't expect you to chase after the murderers. Or jump into a fire. If they aren't conscience/oriented shouldn't they be under medical care?

I certainly would expect (and I would too) a responsible LEO to call for EMS evaluation if a patient seemed to be high-risk (old, toxin ingestion, not responding appropriately, etc.). Heck, I'd probably call EMS for everybody I tase (or use force on).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I certainly would expect (and I would too) a responsible LEO to call for EMS evaluation if a patient seemed to be high-risk (old, toxin ingestion, not responding appropriately, etc.). Heck, I'd probably call EMS for everybody I tase (or use force on).

That is what we do, but catch backlash for calling ems for an eval or transport, because most of the time they are fine.. I guess my point from before is I want 2 "good guys" saying well he looked good. As opposed to saying 1(Leo) saying the was fine vs the patient/ suspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That is what we do, but catch backlash for calling ems for an eval or transport, because most of the time they are fine.. I guess my point from before is I want 2 "good guys" saying well he looked good. As opposed to saying 1(Leo) saying the was fine vs the patient/ suspect

It's good CYA, in my mind. Catching backlash, eh, sure - but that is the price we pay for a litigious society. As an EMS provider, I am there to assess the patient and encourage treatment/transport if needed* - criticizing you is something I can do on the way back to the station ;)

*And it's rarely going to be indicated for a tased patient