*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
BossyCow, I send you many kudos.
That made me crack up.
Man, I'm really gettin' schooled here.
Thanks everybody.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
The service I work for allows all employees one stud style piercing in each ear no dangle or hoops though. Also no tats or visible body piercing is allowed. Just an example of one sop

emtmom

Forum Probie
piercings and tats

Piercings and tats are so common these days. It suprises me that people in EMS, where we strip people in public, would be concerned about a thing like that.

Different services have different requirements. I work for a private ambulance service. Most employees have some form of perminant body art that is visable in uniform.

EMTMOM

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Piercings and tats are so common these days. It suprises me that people in EMS, where we strip people in public, would be concerned about a thing like that.

Different services have different requirements. I work for a private ambulance service. Most employees have some form of perminant body art that is visable in uniform.

EMTMOM

I think in the past 10 or so years society has become more accepting to much but there still is a limit to what is OK.
"normal" earrings for men has become acceptable to many, tattoo's as well but the newer industrial piercing is still a new thing to a lot of folks.
All depends on what image the company want to portray.

emtmom

Forum Probie
piercings and tats

Body art is so common these days. I am supprised that in EMS, where we strip strangers in public, folks would be concerned about it. But various services have various regulations. It's your decision.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Body art is so common these days. I am supprised that in EMS, where we strip strangers in public, folks would be concerned about it. But various services have various regulations. It's your decision.

But being an old long haired, I can speak first hand society will judge a book by it's cover.
In my "other" job I used to wear t shirts and long hair, tattoo's hanging out, leather jacket on, round shades..... Looked like hell. I would call on clients and pitch myself, I'm 3M trained and speak well and know what I'm talking about. They just wouldn't take me serious. I got older put on a pair of dockers and a golf shirt, cut my hair (and lost a lot too) Cleaned up it you will. Still have the tats on my arms but now as I got to Chamber of Commerce meets suddenly they listen to what I have to say. Sure I'm a few years older now but I stick by the "society will judge a book by the cover"
Sucks but it is true. Tatt's or not Gram don't want a "scary" person working on them.

JPINFV

Gadfly

The concern, though, is not how EMS providers view other EMS providers, but how the people we "strip" view us. It's those people's view that we need to concern ourselves with, especially since they, through voting (funding), indirectly control how much money we make.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
We can sit here and go back and forth about my service allows this mine doesn't that and so forth until this post is beaten into the ground. It is true that society as a whole has become more tollerant of the alternative life style. I mean if it was 10 years ago or say 50 you would be drug out behind the station and beaten with a fire hose for having the kinds of things that have been mentioned. So really what it comes down to is that little guy in your head do you listen to him/ her and go buck wild piercing/tattooing everything you can or do you listen to the other one saying hey maybe we shouldn't do this it could effect peoples perception of me. Now personally when I am off duty I could careless what people think of me. I have been known to do things just to upset people. I like to stand out when I am off duty. But like I said in an ealier post that has made things difficult for me on duty. I live in arizona I have to wear long sleeves every day I go to work. Great when it is 40 degrees durring the winter but a real bummer durring 115 temps.
It was also stated that think about what your PT's will think. If you are treating G'ma for what ever and she see's a odd piercing in your ear or your sleeve tattoo what is she gonna think? Professionalism isn't just what you perceeve it as its what those around you perceeve it as. Because unfortunately they effect our careers too.
Personally I try to keep from poking holes in myself.. I have enough metal in my body as it is.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I personally dont think its professional, but in the same breath must say that I am sure you "will" take it out whenever you are working and only keep it in off duty.

I used to work at a station in my region where on of our medics had over 32 piercings. He had about 10 in his face, but managed to take all of them out before he comes to work. The only ones that are left in is the two in his tongue. Those you can see whenever he talks. He looks decent with it out and would present professional whenever he is in uniform.

A funny thing though, when you sit or stand next to him, you can see through his upper nose....:glare:

Dont get me wrong, I am not against piercings, as I have one in my mouth to. But you cant see it and it doesn't present to be unprofessional whenever I am in uniform.

Lastly...OUCH!!!! It must hurt.....:sad: