dumb cpr question

2boss4

Forum Probie
how is it that giving compressions and rescue breathing at the same time during CPR allows air into the lungs? i would think that this would have an adverse effect on what was trying to be accopmlished. explination prease...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes. With out and advanced airway in place you are supposed to pause compressions while giving breaths. With an advanced airway you do compressions and ventilations independent of each other.

Edit: Sniped by the ventmaster.

OP
OP

2boss4

Forum Probie
oooo. ok got it. its wierd, now that i got an answer, i remember a code we had w/o ALS there to help us, and we didn't do breaths + compressions at the same time
good thing too,cause i would owe some dead patients an apology.

JPINFV

Gadfly
tube_orotracheal.jpg

Because when there's only one place for the ventilations to go then you don't really have to worry about gastric inflation (well, not as much).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Used to interpolate inflations, doesn't work in real life.

The trend is to recognize as was suspected in the beginnings that rythmic compression then rebound of the chest cavity mimics respiration to a degree, but nothing mimics heart contractions like proper compressions, so more attention is given to compressions and less to breathing versus before. It was like ballroom dancing...your turn to curtsy, my turn to blow.:blush:

JPINFV

Gadfly
30:2 for adult and single rescuer infant and child is the current industry standard as set by the American Heart Association 2005 curriculum.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I ask that because the nurses at our hospital are being taught 15:2 for 2 rescuer not 30:2 which is what we use for child infant 1 rescuer adult 2 rescuer adult.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The key term there is 2 rescuer, which is 15:2 per AHA.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
as per cpr taught by st johns ambulance which is what is taught in most of canada it's 30:2 for all CPR it he same for infant child 1 rescuer and 2 rescuer.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are we talking about professional health care providers or lay providers (general public)?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
That is what is taught by st johns ambulance. st johns ambulance has been around since the year 1080. in order to enter ems and nursing programs in alberta you need st johns standard first aid and cpr lvl c. the 15:2 is being taught by the heart and stroke foundation. sta johns used to teach 15:2 for one rescuer and 5:1 for 2 rescuer but they changed it a few yrs ago.
it's confusing when 2 respected organizations have 2 different ways of cpr there should be 1 way. Almost like the EMS field where different jurisdictions have different licensing requirements. there should be only one way.

BEorP

Forum Captain
That is what is taught by st johns ambulance. st johns ambulance has been around since the year 1080. in order to enter ems and nursing programs in alberta you need st johns standard first aid and cpr lvl c. the 15:2 is being taught by the heart and stroke foundation. sta johns used to teach 15:2 for one rescuer and 5:1 for 2 rescuer but they changed it a few yrs ago.
it's confusing when 2 respected organizations have 2 different ways of cpr there should be 1 way. Almost like the EMS field where different jurisdictions have different licensing requirements. there should be only one way.

It's not that confusing. St. John Ambulance taught you the universal 30:2 because they taught you the lay rescuer guidelines.

If they taught you the HCP guidelines it would be 30:2 for single rescuer (adults, children, infants) and 15:2 for two rescuer children and infants only. This will be the same whether you go to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Red Cross, or St. John as long as they are following the guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRE

Forum Captain
It's not that confusing. St. John Ambulance taught you the universal 30:2 because they taught you the lay rescuer guidelines.

If they taught you the HCP guidelines it would be 30:2 for single rescuer (adults, children, infants) and 15:2 for single rescuer children and infants only. This will be the same whether you go to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Red Cross, or St. John as long as they are following the guidelines.

I did AHA HCP with my EMT-B last summer and we did it a little bit different. The ratio was 30:2 for everything except 2 rescuer CPR on a child or infant. Single rescuer was always 30:2. I checked the AHA journals with the 2005 updates and this is what they recommend.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I did AHA HCP with my EMT-B last summer and we did it a little bit different. The ratio was 30:2 for everything except 2 rescuer CPR on a child or infant. Single rescuer was always 30:2. I checked the AHA journals with the 2005 updates and this is what they recommend.

My second "single rescuer" should have been two rescuer.