Dumb Calls

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
I'm a little confused as to how this is a dumb call? You may not have gotten the information you needed from dispatch, but a knee fracture certainly qualifies as a medical emergency that would require an ambulance.

I'm not surprised the patient didn't feel any pain - he's a paraplegic, as you said, and might not feel anything at all below the waist - which can make his condition even more perilous. I'm curious as to why you lifted him manually out of the bed instead of using something like a scoop stretcher, though. Wouldn't grabbing him head-toe and lifting him onto the stretcher possibly cause more damage to his knee, even if he couldn't feel it?

We did a head/toe with the sheet, sorry forgot to mention that.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This sounds more like an issue of an emergency for the dispatcher than an actual emergency.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like a simple miscommunication between the hospital and the communication centre.

Your standard of grammar and presentation is extremely poor and you seem to have your knickers in a twist over what looks like a lot of hot air. Makes me wonder about you more than this job.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ouch.

Oh well.
Yeah, dispatch boo-boo'ed. It iss their job to get complete info to you and make the proper dispatch. This was seemingly a failure on both counts.

People calling for transport who use the word "code" ( as in "code three" or "code two") need to be gently questioned as to what is going on. Some people think "code three" is a means of shortening your response time regardless of patient acuity; this can be at the behest of their boss (fall-o- phobia and lawsuits on her mind), or due to a wailing pt disturbing others, excitement, etc. I think the macho "code three" etc should go th way of tens-codes. Give me a distance/address and acuity, not a blind license to boogey.

The weight deal...Mr Dispatch needs to talk to his boss about mis-info. I'd be looking for the real pt when I arrived.

And safety of vehicle ops here was a problem. "How would this sound on the witness stand"....

What a great anecdote to share later?