Drugs to know

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right? I'm simply making a valid point, people abuse narcotics and it's important to watch out for those that do so. I may be relatively new to the field but my opinion is not a reflection of the care I provide my patients. I am nothing short of respectful from the time I meet someone to the time I transfer care.

When starting out I found it easier to learn medical terminology. For example most beta blockers end in "olol" even if I had never heard of a drug, but it ended olol, I could be reasonably sure it was a BBlocker. The same applies to basically everything in medicine. Medical terminology classes are great help.

watchout for people on heroin they may pose as someone with a legitimate emergency. all they need is some narcan and a swift kick in the ***

or they could be a heroin addict with a legit medical problem on top of it (imagine that!)

abscess, acute hepatitis, bowel obstruction etc (or any of the NORMAL things that happen to NORMAL people)

Drugs to Know...

As many as you can get your hands on really. It wasn't until I started working in the Corrections Field that I realized how important it is to know what drugs are out there that people use and sometimes misuse.

Also, if you work with a Medic, learn what drugs they have on your Car. That way your not constantly stumbling around when they need something and you will also know why they need to give it.

When I first started out I focused on things like HTN drugs, Mental Health drugs and Benzos because that is what I saw as an EMT most often.

Hope this helps. All the luck

Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate) causing GI bleeds either end or in the middle or all three.

Aside from Pradaxa, which isn't really used much in my experience, there is Eliquis and Xarelto.

Once you get a solid foundation you will be able to guesstimate a fairly good medical history based off a med list. And you will learn that many medications are often seen together.

Does Narcan fix Coronary Vasospasm? :glare: Oh wait that is what the swift kick in the *** is for.

Back