Drugs through ET tube

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
We got the EZ-IO this past year and in the same protocol update the county removed the tube administration route.
Now 2 sticks, then straight to the drill...
:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Jugular? Femoral?

CAMedicJohn

Forum Probie
EJ if it is available of course... Femoral ? I am looking for veinous not arterial access.. We are not allowed to access arterial lines in field.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
EJ if it is available of course... Femoral ? I am looking for veinous not arterial access.. We are not allowed to access arterial lines in field.
Thank you. You have just demonstrated how EMS education is lacking in the US. Beautiful post.

CAMedicJohn

Forum Probie
I am glad to oblige.. I was under the impression that Femoral vein or arterial access is considered central not peripheral.

When are you allowed to do a central line in the field outside of a sterile environment?

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Can we all agree that we are just happy we have moved beyond the "adrenaline to the heart" stage of EMS?

:p

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Jugular? Femoral?

Unfortunately, you are starting to see the differences in education and training amongst various country's. The U.S. has, in general, removed central venous access from protocols as the EZ-IO is quick, efficient, and relatively simplistic. As an advanced provider who has done my fair share of femoral and subclavian lines, I have to say I do prefer the I/O because of the aformentioned attributes. If I am having to consider an I/O or central access, then there is a critical need for that access. Therefore, I want it fast, reliable, and with minimal complication. The EZ-IO wins in all catagories.

Not to mention the times I have seen Paramedics "accidentally" obtain a blood gas 'cause they hit the wrong vessel!

Back to the original subject..........

Drugs down tube bad! :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am glad to oblige.. I was under the impression that Femoral vein or arterial access is considered central not peripheral.

When are you allowed to do a central line in the field outside of a sterile environment?

Actually, I have been performing central lines since about 1988 in the field setting. In fact, Seattle performed them since 1978... Personally, never seen arterial lines nor any reason for such except monitoring. Yes, we used to do intracardiac Epi until the 80's. Pretty simple, if it not work, the code was basically over.

Now, with the easy I/O the need to establish central lines has decreased remarkably.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

tydek07

Forum Captain
I have not given drugs down an ETT myself. But from what I have been told/heard, is that it is usually your last effort and does not do much. I know that in the past, medics use to be able to give multiple drugs down the tube, and now-a-days services are slowely decreasing the number of drugs allowed down the ETT.

If you cannot get an IV during VF, you can usually get an IO. Since the "big bang" of IO use, the drugs down the ETT are becoming obsolete.

Last edited by a moderator: