Drug Tests

Ricky.

Forum Probie
I am curious about drug testing employees in the EMS field. How many places that you have worked for or are currently working at require a drug test?

Unfortunately the nursing home I work at doesn't test the employees. In a way I wish they did, because I personally feel that drugs don't really have a place in patient care. I would guess that most ambulance services would test their employees since you are operating a vehicle carrying patients.

Thanks.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Everywhere I have worked has done drug testing, but I haven't gotten into an ambulance company yet since I am still at school. I am sure most will test though because of your very reason, and I feel anything where other people are dependant on you, there should be much stricter guidelines to getting into EMT.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Many places I've worked have had a policy of mandatory random and for cause drug testing.

They can randomly select folks to pee in a cup "just because". They can also say "you just were involved in an MVA" or "we are missing narcs and you had access", so pee in this cup.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Totally depends on the agency. Mine has an initial screening with a drug test and the option of testing later, which has never to my knowledge been exercised.

OP
OP
R

Ricky.

Forum Probie
I was shocked when I first started working, and wasn't drug tested, in a way I'm a little disappointed. I don't do any drugs, so passing a test wouldn't be a problem for me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've never worked in any job that didn't require drug testing.

At my current job we were inititally tested and they randomly test people every few months.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I was tested on hire, there's supposed to be random tests (never seen/heard it happen yet) and for cause testing. The last two are along the lines of, you come in at start or end of shift, and they hand you a cup and send you to the clinic, NOW.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
I've always assumed it was a DOT thing. Every place I worked seems to make a reference to MoDOT (Missouri Department of Transportation) in it's drug testing policy. Suppose I should look into that to educate myself (Never really cared since I seldom drink and don't have any medications nor messed with street drugs)

jochi1543

Forum Captain
No drug testing at my service. I don't know how wide-spread drug testing is in Canada in general. I moved here about 2.5 years ago from the US, and it's nowhere near as popular of an issue, it seems.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Driving semi we get tested all the time. Pre-employment test, cause tests if you're in an accident or get hurt (work comp won't pay without the test) and the DOT mandates a certain % of our employees get tested each month or the company loses it's motor carrier license.

Both ambulance services that I'm with (one as a ride along and one as an employee) have the same setup with pre-employment, cause and randoms but the randoms don't really seem to happen.

piranah

Forum Captain
signed a thing on drugs when i was hired never was tested at either of my services...one private and the other vollie rescue....I'd pass though lol

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I had to take one before getting hired. They can also have you take one if at least two people think you are under the influence of something.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Drug testing is mandatory here upon hire and the random (and not so random) selections.

That being said, my company's drug testing policy actually held us back from getting fentanyl on the trucks for quite some time because of the extremely short life/tox screen/whatever of the drug in ones system. (that was probably an excuse among the other reasons)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
every where i have worked thus far...never got caught.;).........i'm kidding...or am I?

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
drug testing

When I was hired on the ambulance service here drug testing was not done. I believe now it is mandatory on hire, and then with cause, and if you refuse you are immediately terminated.

I find it really scary that the people who drive dirt around all day have more stringent drug tests/requirements than I do, and I have peoples lives in my hands. WOW!

mikie

Forum Lurker
Never been tested; don't do drugs; don't support drug tests [sorry, I'm a privacy kind of guy {but not trying to spark argument}]. ^_^

motownems

Forum Probie
oh yea the drug test... can I have a cheat sheet because I forgot to study............jk

Never have at my volly service. I think it is a good idea considering the nature of ems.