Driving

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know what the rulels and regs. are for driving a rig in Cali?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think it's safe to say that it differs by department/service/company.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I think it's safe to say that it differs by department/service/company.

Nope, it's not. It's one of the few things that is actually statewide here in this silly state.

The CHP & DMV put out a book called the "Ambulance Drivers Handbook." It's $5 and you can get it from a DMV office. After that, you need to get a DL51 (medical examination) from your physician, get a county medical examiners card, and then pass the DMV ADL test. I think you have to pay for the test as well.

Oh, and then go get a farking Live Scan ($50 each - cha ching) done through the Department of Justice.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Nope, it's not. It's one of the few things that is actually statewide here in this silly state.

The CHP & DMV put out a book called the "Ambulance Drivers Handbook." It's $5 and you can get it from a DMV office. After that, you need to get a DL51 (medical examination) from your physician, get a county medical examiners card, and then pass the DMV ADL test. I think you have to pay for the test as well.

Oh, and then go get a farking Live Scan ($50 each - cha ching) done through the Department of Justice.
So you're saying that private services may not set age restrictions above the state's?

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
sweet! except i hate the bloody DMV, its always so busy and depressing.

Oh yeah, whats a live scan?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
sweet! except i hate the bloody DMV, its always so busy and depressing.

Oh yeah, whats a live scan?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/ol/livescan.htm

Basically, it's an electronic fingerprinting system. they run criminal background checks from it through the Department of Justice. Thing is, you can't just have ONE done. For *each agency* you're dealing with, you have to do a Live Scan. At $50 each. I had to do one for the Santa Clara County EMS Agency, and will have to do another one for DMV. If I want my card in San Mateo County, that's another $50. And so on...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/ol/livescan.htm

Basically, it's an electronic fingerprinting system. they run criminal background checks from it through the Department of Justice. Thing is, you can't just have ONE done. For *each agency* you're dealing with, you have to do a Live Scan. At $50 each. I had to do one for the Santa Clara County EMS Agency, and will have to do another one for DMV. If I want my card in San Mateo County, that's another $50. And so on...
Nice... Nothing like getting robbed by the state...

On the good side, though... I had to be live-scanned for licensure for my "other" job... The process was quick, easy, and painless compared to filling out fingerprint cards, then not having any errors, etc.

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
gotcha! I've had so many of those bloody things done, coming from England to the US. Pain in the arse! At least it's somewhat cheaper than paying $200 per passport/visa/greencard

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone know what the rulels and regs. are for driving a rig in Cali?
Just make sure that the DMV office gives you the right medical form for driving an ambulance and PLEASE MAKE SURE the the person you go to for your exam fills out your form completely! ( no blank lines) and uses their office seal on the medical form. If not, the DVM will not process it and you have to keep going back (in my case, my doctor's office) which drove me nuts
and put a delay in my hiring process. Hopes this helps out!!