Driving Record

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
That is the nature of the beast.

For law enforcement positions you need a fingerprint check, @ $75 a pop, and each agency needs to do their own.

It is what it is.

Here in TN, you must have all 10 fingerprints on file with an FBI/TBI background check to become an EMT. You furthermore, have background checks performed before hire.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Here in TN, you must have all 10 fingerprints on file with an FBI/TBI background check to become an EMT. You furthermore, have background checks performed before hire.

In New York, it seems, employers do not require fingerprints....maybe FDNY but not sure.

They seem to rely on NYS DOH certificate, which is revoked if you have a criminal conviction, but the DOH does not take prints.

In TN, do they take prints with each employer?

Do you have to give prints to DOH ?

EMT Newbie

Forum Ride Along
How much driving experience needed?

Hi, I'm just beginning out as a driver. I have my permit and am about to get my license in the next couple months. I would like to apply for positions as soon as I can get my driver's license and ADL. Since potential employers ask for a driving record up to 10 years, because I technically do not have one since I am a new driver, will that negatively impact my application? Should I wait a year with my license before applying for jobs?

EMT Newbie

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm just beginning out as a driver. I have my permit and am about to get my license in the next couple months. I would like to apply for positions as soon as I can get my driver's license and ADL. Since potential employers ask for a driving record up to 10 years, because I technically do not have one since I am a new driver, will that negatively impact my application? Should I wait a year with my license before applying for jobs?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

This is not the best place to ask. See if you can get in touch with some of the agencies you would like to work for. I personally would probably frown upon having new drivers work for me, since emergent driving is a high risk and stressful thing, but if you get started off with IFT first then you might be able to work into EMS. Again, ask the agencies, not here. We aren't the ones hiring you.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
In New York, it seems, employers do not require fingerprints....maybe FDNY but not sure.

They seem to rely on NYS DOH certificate, which is revoked if you have a criminal conviction, but the DOH does not take prints.

In TN, do they take prints with each employer?

Do you have to give prints to DOH ?

Nope. Right before we go on clinicals, we are required to go to one of the TBI/FBI authorized fingerprinting stations such as a police dept, etc. We submit the fee to the state website, specify which station we are going to and they take our fingerprints. Once those fingerprints are on file, they are accessible to EMS employers in the state of Tennessee. Every time I go in for a pre-employment screening, they can run a background check.

gumby4532

Forum Probie
I havent had a speeding ticket since since 04 but i had a suspension in 07

I have 2 speeding tickets and an accident within the past 3 on my driving record. I just got hired as a driver for a company in Southern California. Just keep trying, someone will eventually hire you. You might want to apply to private companies as an attendant EMT. Good luck though, don't give up!!

Roger

Forum Probie
I have an interview Tuesday the 7th. Unfortunately
I have to get a copy (attested they call it)
of my driving record. When I ordered the report
($20) I found out my license is non-renewable
because of unpaid excise tax on one of my cars.
Its not a hard to fix and I just renewed my license last
January. But I wonder if they will hold that against me.

Anyone know? :wacko:

PS: I have no tickets, accidents, or any other infractions
in the last 20 years...and I drive all day long for work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I would make every attempt to get squared up with the DMV before next week and get a receipt. If it comes up during the interview, explain what happened and produce the receipt; provide a copy for their records, too. If you can't get everything straightened out before the 7th, offer to provide a paid receipt as soon as possible. The fact that you have a clean record is probably more important than the fact you forgot to pay a tax bill. Best of luck, and I am not an accountant, a lawyer, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just my .02 is all you get... =)

Roger

Forum Probie
Thanks TinCan, I managed to get it all cleaned up and now have a clean report that, by the way, goes back ten years.:rolleyes:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You're welcome; glad I was able to help. Good luck on the 7th...

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
what about parking violation tickets?

last nov i parked less than 15 ft from a fire hydrant. and i also have two tickets for parkign on the wrong side of the st (garbage day). can this impact my record?

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member

last nov i parked less than 15 ft from a fire hydrant. and i also have two tickets for parkign on the wrong side of the st (garbage day). can this impact my record?

I doubt it. I have 2 as well, and they don't show up on my H6 (DMV printout). In an interview, I was asked about my driving history. I told him that I have no tickets except for the parking tickets, and he said it was no big deal.

Roger

Forum Probie

In MA, if they're not paid it will show up as "nonrenewable." Meaning that until
they're paid you can't renew your drivers license. Just be sure you paid them.

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
I live in NY and i've paid them off. I also have a speeding ticket from 2002 which I paid off. I was going 20 mph over in a 30 mph zone...only reason why i got pulled over was cuz it was the end of the month and the pigs needed to make their quotas. is this going to affect my driving record?

also, for my interview on tues, it says bring your emt card. i dont have it yet - i just have my on-site test results with ID. u think this is ok?

terrible one

Always wandering
. I was going 20 mph over in a 30 mph zone...only reason why i got pulled over was cuz it was the end of the month and the pigs needed to make their quotas

or it could have been you going 50mph in a 30 zone :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

spazoid86

Forum Crew Member
A bad driving record is 2 speeding tickets, a stopping violation and a bad inspection sticker in 06, a speeding violation in 08, and an accident in 09.....

Keeping my finger crossed tho. I was young and stupid, accident..was ....an accident