Driving Record

will4993

Forum Ride Along
Im just getting started in my EMT-B training and i was wondering what impact your driving record has on finding an EMT job.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
It depends on your specific situation. I have a speeding ticket with a point on my record, and I was able to find a job.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, if you have a minor speeding ticket (within 10 mph of speed limit), that is usually overlooked. However, some places like Rural/Metro Knoxville will not hire you if you have a ticket for > 15 over the posted speed limit.

If you have ever been convicted of driving under the influence, around here your application is usually shredded at that point. They also look at the number of speeding citations, etc over a short period of time.

OP
OP
W

will4993

Forum Ride Along
How many years do they go back? No speeding tickets in 6 years. No accidents. But i had 2 tickets for riding a motorcycle without the proper endorsements.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I think after 3 years your driving record is clear again, don't quote me on that though. This does not mean that your entire record will clear after 3 years. This means that any infraction once it has become 3 years old will be removed from your driving record.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Companies can go back as far as 10 years if they wanted to. It just all depends on the company. Some go back 3 years some go back 5 years. It just all depends. It might effect you getting on with a decent company, but you never know till you try.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Companies can go back as far as 10 years if they wanted to. It just all depends on the company. Some go back 3 years some go back 5 years. It just all depends. It might effect you getting on with a decent company, but you never know till you try.

I remember going to the DMV to get a copy here in Tennessee and they told me 3 years was the cut off. I had concern over a speeding ticket from 2006, so I specifically asked that question. As for your state, it could be different. Can you cite a case where an individual's driving record was pulled up after 10 years? I have never heard of this happening.

I know they have the 10 year lookup for insurance companies. However, I have never heard of a personal driving record being more than 3 years length for a personal vehicle.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Suspension.... for what?

Tickets wont hurt much, especially if they were a while ago, but suspension? Ouch.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Im just getting started in my EMT-B training and i was wondering what impact your driving record has on finding an EMT job.

1. Ask the company you are applying with.
2. Contact your local DMV.

Hint: they can't see who you are over the phone, ask anonymously.

[/thread]

OP
OP
W

will4993

Forum Ride Along
driving a motorcycle without a motorcycle permit or insurance twice. I know stupid but 18 and knew it all.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as you've kept your nose clean for the past few years, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

People have gotten jobs with far worse driving records than that. Heck, they can always put you on non-driving status for a while.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I remember going to the DMV to get a copy here in Tennessee and they told me 3 years was the cut off. I had concern over a speeding ticket from 2006, so I specifically asked that question. As for your state, it could be different. Can you cite a case where an individual's driving record was pulled up after 10 years? I have never heard of this happening.

I know they have the 10 year lookup for insurance companies. However, I have never heard of a personal driving record being more than 3 years length for a personal vehicle.

After 10 years, i have never heard of such thing. Most companies out here usually look in the past 3 years or the past 5 years, unless it's something major on your record like reckless driving then im sure they will look at the whole 10 years.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
After 10 years, i have never heard of such thing. Most companies out here usually look in the past 3 years or the past 5 years, unless it's something major on your record like reckless driving then im sure they will look at the whole 10 years.

In my Southeastern US locale, a 10 year history is the norm for an application, and it has to have been updated within the past 30 days to be valid at most places I've applied to for employment.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless you are disqualified on an objective basis, example, the state a policy, no more than one speeding conviction in the past three years, IMHO, just apply, answer all questions about driving record truthfully.

If they ask you about it, tell them what happend, explain how you are now clean, and ask them under what conditions they would cosider hiring you for the job.

Best wishes on your job hunt.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In my Southeastern US locale, a 10 year history is the norm for an application, and it has to have been updated within the past 30 days to be valid at most places I've applied to for employment.

If an organization was motivated, they could look into your driving record since the day you passed the road test.

There is also a difficult, but possible, way to see if you were ever stopped by an LEO who ran your license and issued you a warning.

The big picture, IMHO, making the emplyer perceive the applicant as someone who will operate THEIR vehicle in a cautious manner once emplyed.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

I have generally came across two different types of EMS employer. The first type is the one that obtains the driving record themselves through a subscription the service has with the DMV database on the state's website.

The second is the one that wants you to go into the DMV yourself, pay for your driving record, and send it in to them with your application.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I have generally came across two different types of EMS employer. The first type is the one that obtains the driving record themselves through a subscription the service has with the DMV database on the state's website.

The second is the one that wants you to go into the DMV yourself, pay for your driving record, and send it in to them with your application.

I hate the companies that make you go and pay for the MVR yourself. They always want originals and here it costs $12 to get one from the DMV. I can't tell you how much money I spent on MVR's when I was looking for a job.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I hate the companies that make you go and pay for the MVR yourself. They always want originals and here it costs $12 to get one from the DMV. I can't tell you how much money I spent on MVR's when I was looking for a job.

That is the nature of the beast.

For law enforcement positions you need a fingerprint check, @ $75 a pop, and each agency needs to do their own.

It is what it is.