Drive Cams!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You know, as much as I hate to say this, if you are doing the job, following the rules, and not doing something you shouldn't be doing, then you should have no problems with a drive cam.

That might mean no more speeding on the open interstates, no more blowing through red lights, no more talking on cell phone while driving, no more shouting at people on the PA when they don't yield, no more taking that turn "a little too fast", no more using L&S to get the hospital with the minor BS patient because you want to get them out of your truck, or any other thing that we do that if a supervisor saw us, he or she would not approve.

All a drive cam does is hold you accountable for your own actions. And while I have broken a few rules in my time, because I didn't have a camera recording my every move, I got to say, if you don't want to get in trouble, just don't break the rules.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
You know, as much as I hate to say this, if you are doing the job, following the rules, and not doing something you shouldn't be doing, then you should have no problems with a drive cam.

All a drive cam does is hold you accountable for your own actions. And while I have broken a few rules in my time, because I didn't have a camera recording my every move, I got to say, if you don't want to get in trouble, just don't break the rules.

^ This, +1.

My volunteer company could maybe benefit from them, mostly on insurance costs. People drive safely as it is, but maybe they'd wear their seatbelt more often and use lights/sirens less often...

Unfortunately, at my paid Company, they ARE used to babysit us. Some policies I agree with... seatbelts, as required by NYS V&T. No smoking while driving, good idea.. It IS an ambulance. However, you can be repremanded for ANYTHING. If it goes off as you're backing with a backer, write up. Traveling lights without siren, write up. Speaking bad about the company, write up. They took it a step further... We -ACTUALLY- have a policy that says we can't sleep while driving. I often worry that if it goes off and I sneeze while driving, I'll be written up!

On the funnier side, I once accidentally set it off on railroad tracks while my partner talked about him, -ahem-... 'wishing to perform anal pleasures on another female coworker'. The video got leaked, and he STILL hasn't lived it down. Oops! :D

reaper

Working Bum
Time for a new job!