Dr. Bledsoe on System Status

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Dr. Bledsoe has written a pretty thorough article on System Status Management and whether or not it confers any real benefit towards efficiency. I think he hit the nail on the head.

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
Great article.

I sure would like to see some movement to eliminating SSM. But, unfortunately as stated in the article; the difference in costs is the deciding factor and this is what matters most with these companies which utilize this.

Maybe if we could figure out some way to come together and make them understand our pain. If more and more EMT's were able to file for workers comp or even file a lawsuit for being subject to such circumstances (Not that I'm the "get rich quick" sue happy Californian, but let's be honest; this is the only thing these big business understand).

So, in theory, if it became more expensive to utilize SSM, then many companies would seek alternatives. During the gas spike, the division I previously worked finally for began looking for substations due to the increased cost if idling. Unfortunately the price of gas dropped along with their effort to search.

reaper

Working Bum
This article is very old and has been hashed to death already!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
SSM is a joke and albeit non existent here (we do have a few roving rapid responders in jeeps)

Oh my god I could not imagine having to leave the warm station with its internet and telly and go sit on a street corner, fug that!

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh my god I could not imagine having to leave the warm station with its internet and telly and go sit on a street corner, fug that!

Tell me about it. We don't do street corner postings until the number of available trucks in the region drops below 6. (2 trucks/district; From usual coverage of around 35) We do, however, do standby's at neighbouring bases, to "balance coverage" which is a pain in the butt. So when the next station over gets an 0300 call, I'll get an 0300 standby to their base.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
SSM is one of many examples of the employer doing what's best for the employer, with the employee coming in at a distant second. I've lived it firsthand.

Maybe these agencies with SSM should go on strike. Oh wait, ..... yeah, that's right. Lack of organization and representation. No good union would allow that garbage. I don't know of one union shop that has allowed SSM. I'm not saying that labor should have a stranglehold on the employer, but it should be more of a 50/50 power balance, where each side is required to acknowledge and act on the wishes of the other side in negotiations.

Right before I left Charleston County EMS I asked if they would consider the WOWOWOOOO schedule in lieu of the 24/48, for employee benefit, morale, and a 36 hour cap on consecutive work hours rather than the current 48. Blank stares from admin. Imagine if I had suggested a 48/96? How would we hold over everyone 5-6 times a month for additional 24's?