Double medic services in the Southeast US

lane38

Forum Ride Along
Could anyone tell me a great service that runs double medic trucks? I'm wanting to work in the south east (US)

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want to go a little more west then WilCo EMS just north of Austin, TX is a good spot. If youre looking at Florida, I am pretty sure most of it is fire based.

pineapplenick

Forum Ride Along
Not sure what your looking for in a service, but most places in North Carolina run Medic- Medic trucks at least when you are starting out. Wake County (Raleigh) gets the most attention, but Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) is not bad except for System Status. Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) and Guilford County (Greensboro) are great services as well. Speaking generally; not all trucks are Medic-Medic all the time, for them you have to be pretty senior to work with a basic. These were all places i did my ride time at and found them all to be top notch. Hope it helps

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah, let me know if you want to know anything more about Sussex County EMS in Delaware. I don't want to do the whole spiel if you're not interested in Delaware geographically, but it's a great place to work.

A fair amount has already been written about us on this forum, but we're a non transporting, dual medic ALS 911 only system. We're a county government department and cover about 1000 square miles out of 8 (plus a couple power units) stations. We run out of squad body trucks and/or suburbans and operate as ALS responding with a BLS ambulance or intercepting said BLS ambulances as requested.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Thread hijack:

How competitive it is to get hired in Delaware? Looking to get out of San Antonio...

/hijack

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, let me know if you want to know anything more about Sussex County EMS in Delaware. I don't want to do the whole spiel if you're not interested in Delaware geographically, but it's a great place to work.

A fair amount has already been written about us on this forum, but we're a non transporting, dual medic ALS 911 only system. We're a county government department and cover about 1000 square miles out of 8 (plus a couple power units) stations. We run out of squad body trucks and/or suburbans and operate as ALS responding with a BLS ambulance or intercepting said BLS ambulances as requested.

I know this is from a while ago, it sounds like a great system to work in. I'm in medic school right now and looking to relocate as soon as I graduate. The only issue is that my fiancee works in the arts and wants to live near a city. I was wondering how easy it is to commute to DC or Philly? Do you work 12s or 24s? Is it a good place to raise a family? I know I have a ton of questions, I just want to get out of southern california and I'm looking for a great service to work for. Thanks for any input you have!!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
DC's a couple hours, Philly is a couple hours. There are three counties in Delaware, and it's an easy commute to Philly if you work in New Castle County. (Which is actually where I was applying before I went to Sussex.)

All three counties have the same protocols, but operate differently. If you're seriously interested in Delaware, make a trip there, visit, see what you're getting yourself into.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
DC's a couple hours, Philly is a couple hours. There are three counties in Delaware, and it's an easy commute to Philly if you work in New Castle County. (Which is actually where I was applying before I went to Sussex.)

All three counties have the same protocols, but operate differently. If you're seriously interested in Delaware, make a trip there, visit, see what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely thinking of taking a trip out to a bunch of places before I start applying and Delaware is on that list.