Dosage according to size

Agreen22

Forum Ride Along
When treating a little person, would you dose according to age/weight, or according to size (given organs are fully developed for that of an of age adult.)

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
When treating a little person, would you dose according to age/weight, or according to size (given organs are fully developed for that of an of age adult.)
Is drug dosages based off of ones organ size a thing?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

do you mean age/weight v. height?

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I just realized your not talking about pediatrics, & thus understand your question much better. I haven’t given this any thought till right now but I’m calculating my dosages off weight. Just guessing off the top of my head I would think most little people would fit into the adult dose range.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You use the adult dose as a starting reference. Then look at the pedi drug dose. At some point you’ll start to become even with the adult dose. you don’t want to exceed that. If that’s the case you’ll use the adult dose, otherwise use the pediatric weight based dose.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I just realized your not talking about pediatrics, & thus understand your question much better. I haven’t given this any thought till right now but I’m calculating my dosages off weight. Just guessing off the top of my head I would think most little people would fit into the adult dose range.

Took me a couple reads to pick up on that too.

OP, in most cases, stature impaired adults make up for it in bulk. I would say adult dosing will be appropriate most of the time, as with any patient, you can always ask how much they weigh and revert to weight based dosing.