Dopamine & You

spkaldor

Forum Ride Along
I'm doing a bit of informal research into EMS use of Dopamine.

In talking to quite a few Paramedics, I've found a range of opinions about Dopamine. Some say that their transport times are so short, they never get to that point in the protocols. Other say it is too complicated to calculate drip rates and start a second line, so they never bother to use it. Others say they just "run it wide open and titrate to effect". Others say it is always a base order, and they have base do all the calculations.

I'm interested in your attitude toward Dopamine. Do you use it?
-If no, is it because of transport times or complications in set-up? Is calculating a drip rate an issue? What is the biggest issue.
-If yes, do you have any shortcuts to getting set-up, calculating drips? Do you run wide-open and titrate?

Thanks!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by spkaldor@Feb 11 2005, 01:23 PM
I'm doing a bit of informal research into EMS use of Dopamine.

In talking to quite a few Paramedics, I've found a range of opinions about Dopamine. Some say that their transport times are so short, they never get to that point in the protocols. Other say it is too complicated to calculate drip rates and start a second line, so they never bother to use it. Others say they just "run it wide open and titrate to effect". Others say it is always a base order, and they have base do all the calculations.

I'm interested in your attitude toward Dopamine. Do you use it?
-If no, is it because of transport times or complications in set-up? Is calculating a drip rate an issue? What is the biggest issue.
-If yes, do you have any shortcuts to getting set-up, calculating drips? Do you run wide-open and titrate?

Thanks!
From the -P student perspective, Dopamine is a great drug.

From what I see on the streets, the number one reason it isn't used is that it is down on the list, and takes too long to set up (as in "I can play with this, or do a diesel drip and be at the ED before I can have this running).

In the future, as pumps become more prevelent in prehospital units, I can see dopamine getting used more on "longer" transports.

Around here I can be knocing on an ED's door in 15 minutes from any of my territory. Some parts of the county might have a 25 minute or more ride, though, and that is where a good pressor can make the difference between life and death.

Jon

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Dopamine isn't used all that much in my area. It is in the protocols but transport times are usually pretty short and therefore Dopamine doesn't get started. But most of the time medics will run it wide and titrate to effect. Personally, if I were going to use Dopamine I would set the drip correctly to deliver the proper mcg/kg/min. I have a ALS field guide with a chart that tells you the drip rate for Dopamine so there is no calculation needed.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Here in the hood we use the 400mg/500mL concentration...and the way I was taught was to make a Dopamine clock, it makes it really easy for calculating how much to use if you guesstimate the pts weight. You can do it in your head, its quick, easy and wont destroy the pts kidneys...not sure if I can explain it without drawing it....may have to scan a picture...lol

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We use Dopamine routinely. Anytime presure below <90 & patient symptomatic & has not responded to fluid challenge. (non-trauma) Dependent on type of patient we will start at high messentric range before alpha range.

Just remember, Dopamine was not invented to raise B/P it just so happen to be a side effect in the alpha range, be sure to watch renal function.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

emt3225

Forum Crew Member
hey all.....does anyone know of any website that i can go to, that will explain to me how to do the math for dopamine :rolleyes: i'm taking my emt cc skills in a few weeks and they wont pass me unless i can do the dopamine drip..thanks :D

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Find the pts weight in kgs: divide by two and subtract 10%
ex: 130lbs=65-6=59kgs

multiply kgs by mcgs: ex: 59kgs x 10mcgs=590mcgs

if you're using a 400mg/500mL concentration, convert the 400mgs to mcgs by multiplying by 1000=400,000mcg and divide that 500 which will give you a 800mcg concentration.

Now the fun part:

Draw a circle, and using a 60 gtt set start from the top of the circle, 60 gtt on the top, inside the circle, 30gtts at the bottom, 15 on the right and 45 on the left.

Put your total concentration at the top (in this case 800mcgs) half tat to 400 which goes on the bottom, 200 on the right and 600 on the left.

Based on the pts weight in kgs multipled by the dose to be given, totaling 590 mcgs, plot that number on the clock, which will be somewhere around 44 gtts/min.

If I havent explained this clearly, which is entirely possible, given thats its 0200 and I cant draw a picture, i could try to scan the "Dopamine clock" and email it to you.

Hope it helps!!
G

emt3225

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuejew@May 5 2005, 12:41 AM
Find the pts weight in kgs: divide by two and subtract 10%
ex: 130lbs=65-6=59kgs

multiply kgs by mcgs: ex: 59kgs x 10mcgs=590mcgs

Thank you soo much for your help.. :D Atleast now i have a better understanding on how to figure out the math..Thanks again...

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
You're so welcome 3225, it makes it easy enough to do in your head while your working the code AND pass the test...I'm a total math retard!
:p

emt3225

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuejew@May 6 2005, 12:36 AM
I'm a total math retard!
Well consider me math retard #2...I hate math with a passion..As soon as someone tells me it has to do with numbers i cringe... :rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emt3225+May 6 2005, 09:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emt3225 @ May 6 2005, 09:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuejew@May 6 2005, 12:36 AM
I'm a total math retard!
Well consider me math retard #2...I hate math with a passion..As soon as someone tells me it has to do with numbers i cringe... :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
My classmate should be #3... I, however acutally am sick in the head and LIKE math :rolleyes: :D

Jon

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
wait a minute...actually LIKE math?!?!?! What are you, some kind of sadist?? :eek:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
All of those are classic ways.. I had used them for years, then I found this one to be easier:

Weight in kg X mcg (desired doseage) divided by 27 = drips

i.e. 75 kg X 5 mcg divided by 27 =

75 X 5 = 375 divided 27 = 13.8 or 14 gtts

It works on all doses

Be safe,
Ridryder911

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 6 2005, 09:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 6 2005, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by emt3225@May 6 2005, 09:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuejew
@May 6 2005, 12:36 AM
I'm a total math retard!

Well consider me math retard #2...I hate math with a passion..As soon as someone tells me it has to do with numbers i cringe... :rolleyes:
My classmate should be #3... I, however acutally am sick in the head and LIKE math :rolleyes: :D

Jon [/b][/quote]
I love math. :) It pays the bills quite well.

I was the go-to girl for drug math in class. Ask me now? Who knows. That's what medical control is for. :lol: :lol:

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
As an EMS Instructor one of the questions that was frequently asked regarding our Cardiogenic Shock protoclos was " The protocols state to fluid resuscitate with Saline first and if it doesn't work THEN switch to Dopamine. However it never originally addressed HOW MUCH Saline to give before changing over. Well, after getting that issue resolved (2000 cc' s for the Adults and 40cc's / per kg for the Peds. ) we are now starting to see a higher incidence of Dopamine use with great success.
As far as the math is concerned. First off, we carry the 800mg/ 500cc (1600mcg/ ml) concentration and the calculation we found is the easiest is the following:

It's commonly referred to as the Drop 2 method. What you do is take the patient weight IN POUNDS, drop the last number, and subtract 2 from the result. This will end in the patient's 5/mcg/kg/min drip rate. It plays out like this:

Pt. Wt. 185 lbs
Drop the last number = 18
Subtract 2 = 16
16 = Your starting drip rate. for 5/ mcg/ kg/min. If your concentration is 400mg/ 500cc's just double the number (32).

Hope this helps.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Doctor B@May 27 2005, 10:34 AM
As an EMS Instructor one of the questions that was frequently asked regarding our Cardiogenic Shock protoclos was " The protocols state to fluid resuscitate with Saline first and if it doesn't work THEN switch to Dopamine. However it never originally addressed HOW MUCH Saline to give before changing over. Well, after getting that issue resolved (2000 cc' s for the Adults and 40cc's / per kg for the Peds. ) we are now starting to see a higher incidence of Dopamine use with great success.
As far as the math is concerned. First off, we carry the 800mg/ 500cc (1600mcg/ ml) concentration and the calculation we found is the easiest is the following:

It's commonly referred to as the Drop 2 method. What you do is take the patient weight IN POUNDS, drop the last number, and subtract 2 from the result. This will end in the patient's 5/mcg/kg/min drip rate. It plays out like this:

Pt. Wt. 185 lbs
Drop the last number = 18
Subtract 2 = 16
16 = Your starting drip rate. for 5/ mcg/ kg/min. If your concentration is 400mg/ 500cc's just double the number (32).

Hope this helps.
Great post, thank you! I was actually taught that method in class as well. I have yet to drip dopamine though, my transports in my one department are so short I barely get through standing orders, and for critical care EMTs dopamine is a medical control option.

The other department doesn't have a lot of calls. <_<

Thank you, and welcome to the forum! :lol:

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
You're welcome and thanks for the "Welcome".
The way I see it anything we can learn to make our job easier is a bonus!
Be safe

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Doctor B@May 27 2005, 12:21 PM
You're welcome and thanks for the "Welcome".
The way I see it anything we can learn to make our job easier is a bonus!
Be safe
Let me be the 2nd to welcome you....

Jon

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Let me be the third to welcome you Doctor B!! :D

Ive read all the posts and the other methods sound really easy but just too logical for me to use in practical application!!! lol

rling

Forum Ride Along
Bump

Dope actually doesn't take that long to setup. On a code last night where we got pulses back, between my partner screaming to me to get get the scoop stretcher, scribe interventions, I was able to setup the bag in less than a minute.

Grab syringe, 1 inch IM needle, draw up drug (400mg in 5ml is our preparation), inject into 250 bag, give small shake, spike, flood line, label bag with "Dopamine 400mg in 5ml" on a piece of tape, hand to partner with smile.

My partner did the "wide open, then titrate to effect" method which confused me as I was taught to use the "drop 2" method. His method worked - brought BP up from 80/50 to 110/70.