Dopamine calculations

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Some of my other FI's really nail new guys for not being able to manage everything in their head. I disagree, if you need to browse your ped drug doses on the way to a call by all means do so. Like Rid said, better than buggering your drug or dose when you get there. Like I said before, function over form, if it works for you do it.

Gaurdian, all I can say is WOW! I have never pushed anyone out that can do the job. It's those that cannot do the job that get whacked, I have seen more than one very intelligent person that is simply incapable of doing the job. If you claim to have not your standards are far too low.

I have not been a cowboy for some time.

Not sure I should even take the time to address the "compared to him" comment. I am assuming "him" is me. I could offer several examples why this is more than a little untrue but will hold my tongue, I think this post may have digressed enough.

On to the common sense portion of tonights entertainment. You sure showed me. You sound as though you may have been nailed a time or two for lacking
the common sense you so passionatley seem to be searching for. Come to think of it, ever worked in the Denver metro area?

Cheers
Egg

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Some of my other FI's really nail new guys for not being able to manage everything in their head. I disagree, if you need to browse your ped drug doses on the way to a call by all means do so. Like Rid said, better than buggering your drug or dose when you get there. Like I said before, function over form, if it works for you do it.

Gaurdian, all I can say is WOW! I have never pushed anyone out that can do the job. It's those that cannot do the job that get whacked, I have seen more than one very intelligent person that is simply incapable of doing the job. If you claim to have not your standards are far too low.

I have not been a cowboy for some time.

Not sure I should even take the time to address the "compared to him" comment. I am assuming "him" is me. I could offer several examples why this is more than a little untrue but will hold my tongue, I think this post may have digressed enough.

On to the common sense portion of tonights entertainment. You sure showed me. You sound as though you may have been nailed a time or two for lacking
the common sense you so passionatley seem to be searching for. Come to think of it, ever worked in the Denver metro area?

Cheers
Egg

I live on the other side of the country, the good side. But I know a few former and current denver guys and the fact you're there explains a lot. I hope to god AMR wasn't the company you were bragging about earlier in this thread. Oh, and you do have more common sense than me. You think far more commonly than I do. And if you are proud of that, then go back and read my previous post.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
You know some Denver guy's? Who?

Fairly certain nothing I have said could ever be confused with the cats at AMR, at least around here.

Egg

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Tell ya what. You tell me who you know that works or worked in Denver and I'll tell you if they are or are not the kind of person I am on about. That way I'll bet we have a chance of landing up on the same page. I like that idea.

I stay in what is basically the middle of the country (with out getting technical), what is the opposite side of that?

Egg

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Tell ya what. You tell me who you know that works or worked in Denver and I'll tell you if they are or are not the kind of person I am on about. That way I'll bet we have a chance of landing up on the same page. I like that idea.

I stay in what is basically the middle of the country (with out getting technical), what is the opposite side of that?

Egg

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't live in a state that touches the Atlantic, then you live on the other side. LOL, just kidding folks. Compared to where I live, denver is way the heck out there though.

I don't throw around names of lowly, hard working ems personnel. I don't even give my own name out, for good reason. Just know that I'm familiar with your system and it's not impressing anyone who knows much about ems. That said, I have met one or two decent paramedics from that area. And one of the best toxicologists in the country is from denver too. So you guys aren't all bad.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Just me right? I'll bet those you know that used to work here got booted and claim to have quit. We get a lot of that. "Yea I worked there for a while, but now I don't due to this or that. My choice of course". Turns out they got jacked for being weak and lacking that dreadful common sense we all fear so.

Egg

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice people...

signadmin1.gif

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone here start a dopamine drip at 5 mcg/kg/min? I had a paramedic tell me today that he only starts at 10 mcg/kg/min so he can get the predominantly Beta1/Beta2 effects.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Cricket cricket.......I think someone is either unable to back it up or has an unnatural fear of Carl's Jr.

Egg

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Many start at 5 mcg/kg; but that is usually Dopaminergic effects, Alpha usually starts at >10mcg. Remember, at alpha one does raise the BP though at what costs?.. Prolonged, Dopamine can cause renal failure due to extreme alpha effects. That is why, IABP is so essential before prolonged time.

R/r 911

spidermedic

Forum Probie
You should learn the calculations the "right" way and use the quick methods (clock, et all) as a means of cross checking your answer.

Personally, I don't think any prehospital provider should be hanging vasoactive meds without a pump. All it takes is one positional IV or someone "opening up" the wrong line to find yourself in bad outcome land.

We should also be using MAP rather than SBP when administering them.