Doing research on defibbrillators would like to know wha the se from 5 to 360 what is the difference

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are you asking why we are able to select different energy settings?

If yes then the different energy settings are used for different things. The lower settings are generally used for our pediatric patients because those are weight based energy doses (2J/kg or 4J/kg). The adult doses we want to cardiovert or defib at the lowest dose that will convert the patient. For adult defib the LP15 recommends 200J, 300J, 360J.

OP
OP
J

Jacm

Forum Probie
So for example if you choose 5 jules for an adult does it do anything a d is that all defibrillators

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Depends on the manufacturer. In general 5j would probably not do anything to an adult. You could always call the manufacturers and ask to speak to one of their engineers about how different jule setting would affect patients. The reason I says ask the manufacturer is because the way a zoll monitor shocks a patient is different than how a physo shocks a patient.

And I don't know what your research is for and we don't give any advice regarding legal matters even if EMS screwed up royally.

On a semi related note I'm tempted to shock myself at 5j... I think it would tickle!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So for example if you choose 5 jules for an adult does it do anything a d is that all defibrillators
We would not use 5J on an adult. 5J would be used on a neonatal patient.

Manual defibrillators allow us to select the specific amount of joules that we want to use. AEDs are automatic and you do not select the energy setting.

OP
OP
J

Jacm

Forum Probie
I was doing research on a lifepak 10 since they have been around and also what is difference between monophasic biphasic

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was doing research on a lifepak 10 since they have been around and also what is difference between monophasic biphasic
Google would be your friend for the answer to that question. Your best options for research is going to be the manual for the defibrillator you are looking at and the manufacture.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fake ones, prerecorded audio, real ones connected to a rhythm generator/defib system.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Monophasic means the current only flows one way between the pads. Biphasic means current flows between the two in both directions, hypothetically involving more cardiac tissue.