Does Realistic Training Matter?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There is nothing better than the "real thing" but that is unrealistic expecting your students to be exposed to enough to prepare them. If one is good at moulage and setting up scenarios they can become realistic and a great addition to the education of critical thinking skills that is so desperately needed.

Here is some I had my on-line Paramedic class perform last week. We had done the primary moulage earlier in the year; this was a quick mind test. We are fortunate that we have a new H-U-G-E learning lab that includes an apartment setting so students can get used to home settings (moving furniture, looking in bed stands, etc..)

For example the John on John in the morning...
JohnonJohn.jpg

woman down.. with some students "dramatizing" can add more realism...
Learninglab.jpg

and the classic .. auto vs. ped
Autopedscenario.jpg

AutopedII.jpg

and for scene safety... construction worker on an electric transformer.. yes, they have to run the code and then place into the EMS unit....
Electrocutionscenario.jpg

With yours truly grading them....
RPKOKCCC.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
Is anyone else suddenly massively jealous of Rid's paramedic school?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid, where is your medic school located, and how do you get in? Is there a website or something? I'd be willing to re-locate to have good instructors...

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The apartment thing is pretty cool! we have the box of an ambulance in our classroom complete with on-ceiling cameras so students and staff can observe from outside the ambulance. Definitely nice scenerios. I wish we done more scenerios like that.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Here is a link: http://www.occc.edu/Health/emt.html I believe you will find it very economical as well. Many of our students are from abroad.

Sure, as an alumnus and professor, I am proud of the program. We are the only accredited one in the State. All of the Educators have a degree and the full time professors (5) have at least the minimum of 30 years Prehospital experience (yes, each). The program is entering its 32'nd year of a degree program. Yes, they offer certificate but the majority completes the degree as it is very highly encouraged. Alike all Paramedic programs we too have problems; but we attempt to address and resolve them.

We have been fortunate as the College President likes health care providers (especially EMS) and the Dean of the Health Division has experience as a working medic for a couple of decades.

I have to admit, it has been nice to have new equipment and trying new methods of educating medics. We are very self conscious of adult education and methods of teaching. Each hospital clinical site as well has paid college staff that monitors student’s progression and works closely with the staff to ensure that the student’s objectives and scope are being met.

One unique that we have added is more involvement on Professionalism as in being very active with legislative affairs and special community projects. We realize for this to become a true professional career, things have to start in the beginning.

R/r911

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is a link: http://www.occc.edu/Health/emt.html I believe you will find it very economical as well. Many of our students are from abroad.

Sure, as an alumnus and professor, I am proud of the program. We are the only accredited one in the State. All of the Educators have a degree and the full time professors (5) have at least the minimum of 30 years Prehospital experience (yes, each). The program is entering its 32'nd year of a degree program. Yes, they offer certificate but the majority completes the degree as it is very highly encouraged. Alike all Paramedic programs we too have problems; but we attempt to address and resolve them.

We have been fortunate as the College President likes health care providers (especially EMS) and the Dean of the Health Division has experience as a working medic for a couple of decades.

I have to admit, it has been nice to have new equipment and trying new methods of educating medics. We are very self conscious of adult education and methods of teaching. Each hospital clinical site as well has paid college staff that monitors student’s progression and works closely with the staff to ensure that the student’s objectives and scope are being met.

One unique that we have added is more involvement on Professionalism as in being very active with legislative affairs and special community projects. We realize for this to become a true professional career, things have to start in the beginning.

R/r911

Thanks for the information. I'm really looking for a good medic program as I'm starting to see how much of my EMT school, and what would have been Medic school has characteristics as a medic mill. It's not the instructors faults, it's the way the place is ran. As an EMT school it's alright, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it as a medic school.

I'll look into that program Rid, thanks for the info.

TJ

Edit: I've filled out the form to request more information, so I'll be talking to them soon probably.. I have a feeling it may be difficult to get into it though because I failed 2 college classes at the local community college because it was something I thought I wanted to do, but didn't follow through with it... Sucks, wish I could have seen how much that would affect me now :/ I graduated with academic distinction from high school though, so sure that counts for something...

Thanks RR.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r911

Looking around on that site, I'm glad to see that your program has a math class for healthcare providers. One of the areas I see many of my classmates lacking in.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Looking around on that site, I'm glad to see that your program has a math class for healthcare providers. One of the areas I see many of my classmates lacking in.

Yeah, we are considering a remodification in the future as in more solid general education for transfer to a four year university.

I am in the progress to attempt in associating with the medical school and developing a higher education model so one can continue onward from the program.

R/r 911

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
lol, my training scenerios were basically other students sitting in chairs pretending to be in a car... if we even had them then.. i wish they were more realistic.. i rode along several times with a 911 service, but never got any "good" calls.. i am a volunteer firefighter and first responder.. i seen more than what we played out in emt school.. i had a good idea before i ventured out, just from my experiance, but still wished they would have shown me more in school..
if you are a teacher, you need to get victims to "hang from a tree" and get the students to properly imobilize them before getting them down..
we extricated from a chair, which did not show me much....