Does it make sense..

EMTB109

Forum Ride Along
I'm in my EMT-B class right now, and have a question. Would it make sense to get my patch and then as soon as possible start my EMT-I training. or would you guys and gals suggest I get some field experience before doing my EMT I training.
also a reason behind asking this is I am planning on moving to Colorado from Texas, and read I will most likely have to re-certify if I don't have my EMT-I or Paramedic.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what they think is best. Some will say go straight in, while others will say to get some experience before moving up.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
Like the previous posts states, everyone will have a different opinion. I would just think about when you will be moving and whether you have time to get experience then go to school for EMT-I. Also see how comfortable you are when you complete school and take that into consideration.
Good Luck

Also double check to make sure that where you are going, you will have to recertify, if not, then why bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EMTB109

Forum Ride Along
Thanks that helps. I am liking my Basic course a lot right now. I'm actually one of 3 people passing the course out of 10. I'm grasping all of the material. It's not hard at all. As long as I dedicate my self to reading the books and studying it wont be a problem. I am leaning towards going straight to EMT -I training as a way to keep all of what I studied book wise fresh in my mind.

EDIT. EMSDUDE, I was reading on a different post when I tried to search topics. That when I move to Colorado it is highly probable that they would have a Basic recertify than an EMT-I and virtually no chance of having a paramedic recertify. although I don't know if that is fact.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
You will find many opinions on this forum, my opinion is this. I have seen a difference in Medics who had BLS or ILS experience prior to starting their career as a Medic and those who do not(all call management based, not knowledge). However, after a year or two you cannot tell anymore.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Another thing to bear in mind - performance on the EMT course doesn't necessarily equate to performance in the field. Even if you score very highly in class, it doesn't mean that the first couple of cardiac arrests you run might not be a little disorganised.

If you're particularly young, and can afford to make a little less money for a while, maybe working as an EMT-B for a bit will benefit you. If you can find a job where you're getting a decent call volume / exposure to sick patients / responsibility.

If you've got kids, a mortgage, and another career or two in your past, fast-tracking to the higher levels might be a better idea.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Fish, could you elaborate on that thought?

Sure,

Mind you this is just my personel opinion:

Brand new Paramedics who had worked as an EMT B or EMT I prior to becoming a Paramedic tend to have better call management skills that someone who did not. The knowledge base tends to be no different as they have recieved the same education, but call management and critical thinking under pressure seems to be different. That being said, within a year or so the Medic who did not have the experience quickly catches up.

Simply put, by the time I was out of Medic school I had already been on double digit CPR calls, shootings, Stabbings, bad CHF, Allergic Reactions, etc as an EMT. So I didn't have the OMG shock of a critical call plus the ALS TEAM LEAD decision making responsibilities thrown at me at the same time, I was already exposed to sick and injured patients so when I saw them as a Medic I was able to stay cool calm and level headed and make good decisions and prioritize correctly, that seems to be the case with new Medics I see coming in.

I was on my first CPR call as an 18 year old, and Graduated Paramedic school just as I turned 21.

Am I saying you will not be successful unless you go the route I did? heck no I am not, I was forced to go that route because the area I went to school at required a years xperience. Medics I work with who did not go that route do just fine.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Whatever you decide just make sure that wherever you go in Co or Texas that they recognize EMT-I. For instance; if you land up in the Denver metro area your I cert is useless and you are considered a basic.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
EDIT. EMSDUDE, I was reading on a different post when I tried to search topics. That when I move to Colorado it is highly probable that they would have a Basic recertify than an EMT-I and virtually no chance of having a paramedic recertify. although I don't know if that is fact.

Contact the Colorado State EMS license office or their website to see what they say, while most people on sites like this are accurate in what they say, its always good to double check so you don't accidentally get the wrong info.

OP
OP
E

EMTB109

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone for your input its going to make it easier to make my decision when it get closer to the time that I have to take my NR exam.

"Brand new Paramedics who had worked as an EMT B or EMT I prior to becoming a Paramedic tend to have better call management skills that someone who did not. The knowledge base tends to be no different as they have recieved the same education, but call management and critical thinking under pressure seems to be different. That being said, within a year or so the Medic who did not have the experience quickly catches up."

I see what you are saying fish, sounds to me you are talking about people who are 'book smart' compared to 'street smart'. Makes a lot of sense actually.

I have another comment/question. I don't really want to be a part of the FD where I live and really have no interest in the FD (not knockin you guys who are in FD). I would really like to stick with riding on an box or working as an ER Tech. Hospital and pre hospital care is what I prefer. To may question.

Is there anyway to gain experience in the field on an ambulance without having my patch yet? Like a volunteer service for emt's in training

clibb

Forum Captain
There's not really an EMT-I in Colorado. Get your Paramedic if you want to be above the EMT-B level. But, I don't know many companies here who would hire a medic without any 911 or transfer experience besides maybe AMR or Pridemark, depending on where in Colorado you would move.