Does FDNY EMT promote you to Medic and PAY for training???

Michael Iacono

Forum Crew Member
First off, Im currently in EMT school right now and will graduate in May 2015 in Pennsylvania.

I have been reading through these forums and stumbled upon a thread that stated something about FDNY EMT's getting a PAID TRAINING ACADEMY to become a paramedic!

Is this true? I mean, If I tried to get the job as an EMT...and was to be hired, would they send me through a 9 month academy to train me for Medic????

How does this work?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes.... and they aren't the only agency in the country that will do that.....

most will require you to work as a medic for several years as a condition of them paying for your training, or else they will make you pay back all the money they spent on you.

OP
OP
M

Michael Iacono

Forum Crew Member
So what do you do then?

Just apply for EMT and then once your in (if you get in) start badgering them to send you through paramedic training?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
pretty much. I mean, once you get hired, pass your probationary period, then you can apply to be reassigned to the training division to complete your paramedic training.

It might have a couple more steps, but that's in in a nut shell.

If you want additional information, check out http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ems_faq_042607.shtml

cjclrkk

Forum Ride Along
After a year on FDNY you can apply to take the promotional exam for paramedic. if you pass the exam, and a posistion/academy slot is available, they will call you to attend the FDNY paramedic school at The Rock. once you complete the academy you will be assigned to whatever station needs a medic.