Does CA require hazmat training for EMT-Bs?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Did you read your own link? These are recommended guidelines in CA. It is recommending that all emergency workers recieve HazMat training in anticipation for a WMD-type attack. It includes recommendations that ambos should carry certain gear for proper PPE (jackets, gloves, helmets, N95 masks, etc... ) and what I consider USAR survival gear (water purification methods, daypacks, prophylactic medications, MREs, etc...); items I have yet to see on any Ambo (including the BLS IFT units they are suggesting thes items be on). Nice concepts in theory... not happening in real life and unlikely to until after it is needed. Unless something has changed in the last few hours, I am still under the impression that official HazMat training and certication (beyond the 2 pages in the course books) is not required to be an EMT, but should be considered by anyone serious about EMS and should be offered by an responsible agency/county.

When I worked in OC OCEMS provided all of the ambulances, including IFT companies, with a WMD kit that included escape respirator, body suit, boot covers, gloves, and a few other things. I know that, at a minimum, Care Ambulance had Mark1 kits on each of their ambulances.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
When I worked in OC OCEMS provided all of the ambulances, including IFT companies, with a WMD kit that included escape respirator, body suit, boot covers, gloves, and a few other things. I know that, at a minimum, Care Ambulance had Mark1 kits on each of their ambulances.

Care's not the only one. And neither is OCEMS...

To Mountain, no, we don't carry water purification, but, nearly all of use carry large amounts of water on shift, and food, yes, we bring it, because, we work nights. No need to bring clothes, no need for a sleeping bag, both cut down a large amount of what's in your pack.

BTW, A "daypack" is actually a 24 hour pack, not a 72 hour pack, and I know you know the difference.

Sorry Mountain, you're not the only SAR person here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Care's not the only one. And neither is OCEMS...

No doubt, but I can't vouch for what other counties have provided for their ambulance companies or what other companies have Mark1 kits. On the other hand, I have first hand knowledge about OCEMS equipment and Care.

atropine

Forum Captain
Yeah vent about that link not buying it we don't even carry that stuff on our type 1 engine, just because their required to carry it (the ambulance people) doesn't meant their forced to learn about it at any level. Many moons ago when I worked BLS for AMR in LA County we didn't have any formal training about hazmat other than let the FD handle it, ofcourse this was vack in 98, so thing may have changed a little since then.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yeah vent about that link not buying it we don't even carry that stuff on our type 1 engine, just because their required to carry it (the ambulance people) doesn't meant their forced to learn about it at any level. Many moons ago when I worked BLS for AMR in LA County we didn't have any formal training about hazmat other than let the FD handle it, ofcourse this was vack in 98, so thing may have changed a little since then.

Read the posts again. I guess I would be expecting too much from your department to be with the rest of the EMS world. However, you do work for a FD, correct? Are you telling me you know nothing about the things mentioned? Do you even know how broad hazmat training is? Honestly, have you never taken any updates? Is this county you are in really that much out of touch and out of date? I find this just shameful that in the year 2009, with this country being involved in two wars, transworld transport of various hazardous materials and infectious diseases that you do not have basic knowledge of this as an EMT.

atropine

Forum Captain
Read the posts again. I guess I would be expecting too much from your department to be with the rest of the EMS world. However, you do work for a FD, correct? Are you telling me you know nothing about the things mentioned? Do you even know how broad hazmat training is? Honestly, have you never taken any updates? Is this county you are in really that much out of touch and out of date? I find this just shameful that in the year 2009, with this country being involved in two wars, transworld transport of various hazardous materials and infectious diseases that you do not have basic knowledge of this as an EMT.

yo take a chill pill, I am trained to the awareness level, and yes we have many hazmat units in and around the city, just not that interested in being a hazmat guy that's all. As far as the link it just list required equipment, don't think the privates are going spend any additional $$$ on formal training for there employees thats all.:rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
yo take a chill pill, I am trained to the awareness level, and yes we have many hazmat units in and around the city, just not that interested in being a hazmat guy that's all. As far as the link it just list required equipment, don't think the privates are going spend any additional $$$ on formal training for there employees thats all.:rolleyes:

There have already been examples of the private ambulance services carrying some of the equipment. Again, do you understand how broad hazmat is and what an EMT-B should know just to stay safe? Do you know there is a difference in the training expected for an EMS provider and one that specializes in it? The primary concern for EMS is the medical aspect but unfortunately there will be times they will be faced with hazmat situations. Since the State of CA has published guidelines and there is an least an overview in the EMT-B course, one shouldn't play ignorant. Nor, should one not be aware of the safety guidelines set forth by Federal and State agencies.

atropine

Forum Captain
Okay I agree that emt-B's should be trained at least to the awareness level, but I doubt that most will do to private capitalism and no enforcement, fair enough.:rolleyes:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
So, to ignore people sniping back and forth at each other (I'd say *****ing at each other but that would be censored) and summarize this thread for the OP, here goes.

Yes, if you become an EMT in California (or really anywhere else) you will get some HazMat training. It won't be a lot and probably won't actually certify you at the Awareness/Ops/Technician levels (though I suppose there could be some screwy place that actually does that) but you'll at least get a very, very rudimentary and basic understanding of it. Oh, and there is a list of items related to HazMat situations and disasters that is recommended to have on ambulances and the like in California, but they're not required, and whether or not you actually get trained on how to use the items on that list is up to your employer.

Bottom line: if you like HazMat then take the EMT course and realize that you will need much more training elsewhere. If you don't like HazMat then take the EMT course and don't worry about it.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
The DOT standard curriculum has a requirement for EMS awareness level. No matter which program a student enters, there is an amount of Haz albiet, not more than what is covered in the text. Anything more is icing.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
BTW, A "daypack" is actually a 24 hour pack, not a 72 hour pack, and I know you know the difference.

Sorry Mountain, you're not the only SAR person here.

Read the link again. While a day pack in SAR is typically 12-24 hours. In that wonderful link they have it listed as containing enough supplies for 72 hours. I don't call that a daypack... but this is what the "standard" is apparently.