Does Any One Know The Current Law On

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Carrying handcuff's in NYS?

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
If you are a LEO and you really want to have at it. If you are an EMS provider than you have no reason to.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
If you want to carry a set in your car as decoration that is probably fine. But if you are talking about to use on an ambulance, I have a question. Are you a leo? If not and you try to use them to restrain a patient you will probably wind up wearing a set that has been professionally applied. In fact if you try to put a pair on a patient in my ambulance you will likely find yourself sitting on the side of the road watching us drive away. While I will agree that it is sometime needed to restrain a patient we as medical providers have no business to carry handcuffs around with us in the hopes that we will get to use them. We have methods to restrain with if cuffs are needed then law enforcement will do that for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CFRBryan347768

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
If you want to carry a set in your car as decoration that is probably fine. But if you are talking about to use on an ambulance, I have a question. Are you a leo? If not and you try to use them to restrain a patient you will probably wind up wearing a set that has been professionally applied. In fact if you try to put a pair on a patient in my ambulance you will likely find yourself sitting on the side of the road watching us drive away. While I will agree that it is sometime needed to restrain a patient we as medical providers have no business to carry handcuffs around with us in the hopes that we will get to use them. We have methods to restrain with if cuffs are needed then law enforcement will do that for us.

I have no desire to carry them, just asking because the partner i worked with yesterday talked about how back in the day handcuffs this and handcuffs that so i was just wondering why they werent used like if it has somethign to do with laws.

And Whats a LEO

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
Hand cuffs are a little too aggressive for restraining a patient and may actually do more harm to the patient's wrist if the patient becomes aggressive for what ever reason. When a subject is handcuffed behind their back it makes it more difficult to remove if something were to happen requiring the immediate removal. If you are handcuffing someone in front then you are giving the patient a means of assulting you by simply locking their hands behind your neck while the chain cuts off your vital curculation. Soft restraints usually are either made from leather or even a softer padded material with clips and cotton straps. If something goes wrong a quick clip of the cotton with your scissors will free the patient. I'm willing to bet your partner was yanking your chain about using hand cuffs back in the day. I've been involved in EMS for 23 years and have been a Federal LEO for 18 years and have never heard of an EMS crew using hand cuffs.

Hope that helps!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
IN NYS anyone can carry handcuffs. However, NYS EMTs are not allowed to restrain patients with them.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
The only way I can think of that you could legally handcuff someone (without being an LEO) would be if you were making a citizen's arrest. Citizen's arrest laws vary state to state, but typically you have to witness them committing a felony or have good reason to believe that they have committed a felony.

rmellish

Forum Captain
The only way I can think of that you could legally handcuff someone (without being an LEO) would be if you were making a citizen's arrest.

Or in the privacy of your own home for reasons unrelated to both healthcare and law enforcement...:unsure:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've got handcuffs in my glove compartment... because I used to work a job where I had to carry them, and that way, when I went to work every other weekend, I didn't have to tear apart my bedroom to find where I'd left them.

I'm not sure why they are still in my glove box... probably because I'm too lazy to find another home for them.

I've never seen a need for EMS to carry cuffs. I've wished for leather restraints a few times... but handcuffs are a law-enforcement tool, not a patient care tool.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The only way I can think of that you could legally handcuff someone (without being an LEO) would be if you were making a citizen's arrest. Citizen's arrest laws vary state to state, but typically you have to witness them committing a felony or have good reason to believe that they have committed a felony.

Don't be to sure the cops will well receive a private citizen making a citizen's arrest on a witnessed felony using handcuffs. They may look at you as impersonating a cop. Its highly unusal for a private citizen to be making arrests much less be using handcuffs to do so.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
...I've been involved in EMS for 23 years and have been a Federal LEO for 18 years and have never heard of an EMS crew using hand cuffs.

Hope that helps!

boston ems emts carries them and they are the primary restraint used.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
boston ems emts carries them and they are the primary restraint used.
I find it hard to believe that Bostom EMS uses metal handcuffs as a primary restraint.