Does accreditation make a difference..

Spera

Forum Ride Along
First off, I want to say hello to everyone. I've lurking around for a while and got a lot of info just looking at past and current threads.

I have a question. I will be taking the EMT-B course this fall in NYC. I wanted to know does if make a difference whether or not I take the course in an accredited or unaccredited program. I do plan to go on to medic training if that makes helps. Thanks in advance. :)

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I would think it would be better to take at an accreditted place. This way it would make it easier to go to any if not all facilities for your medic training. However I am in Canada and am not sure if it is different there.

MDKEMT

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The NREMT will require all of those that want to purse the NREMT/P level, to have graduated from an accredited program by 2012.

What the difference is that they have ensured that their program has met the requirements and beyond. Such as clinical instructors, approved and better clinical sits, as well as their instructors are not such, but educators. Most require them to be associated with a college, therefore have a formal education to teach.

Good luck!

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Accreditation is a good thing to look for in a school, and, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of it being required for ALL paramedic schools in just a few years, but don't just look at whether a school is accredited or not in deciding where to go. Of the 3 schools in my state that have accreditation, one is flat out the worst possible place to learn to be a paramedic, and I say this after having seen the results and watched how shocked their students are when they start their internships. You still need to check up on how well the program is run overall.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Accreditation is a good thing to look for in a school, and, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of it being required for ALL paramedic schools in just a few years, but don't just look at whether a school is accredited or not in deciding where to go. Of the 3 schools in my state that have accreditation, one is flat out the worst possible place to learn to be a paramedic, and I say this after having seen the results and watched how shocked their students are when they start their internships. You still need to check up on how well the program is run overall.

Yes, going to an accredited school does NOT guarantee one will be an excellent Paramedic, nor does one going to an non-accredited site. At least one can say they had a chance or was offered the chance to become better prepared.

I would like to see if these schools were Nationally accredited as per CoEMSP/CAAHEP or state accredited as many are now acclaiming... there is a BIG difference!

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, going to an accredited school does NOT guarantee one will be an excellent Paramedic, nor does one going to an non-accredited site. At least one can say they had a chance or was offered the chance to become better prepared.

I would like to see if these schools were Nationally accredited as per CoEMSP/CAAHEP or state accredited as many are now acclaiming... there is a BIG difference!

R/r 911
That's actually the problem (only 1 is that bad; one of the others is quite good and the third is to new to tell yet) all 3 are accredited by CAAHEP; no state knock-offs here. And of those three, one is...well...let's just say special.

My point was that just because the school is accredited it does NOT mean you will even be OFFERED the chance to be better prepared; I kid you not, this place is absolute crap. And yet, accredited by CAAHEP. Go figure.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That's actually the problem (only 1 is that bad; one of the others is quite good and the third is to new to tell yet) all 3 are accredited by CAAHEP; no state knock-offs here. And of those three, one is...well...let's just say special.

My point was that just because the school is accredited it does NOT mean you will even be OFFERED the chance to be better prepared; I kid you not, this place is absolute crap. And yet, accredited by CAAHEP. Go figure.

I would suggest contacting CoEMSP then. Something is wrong. They do routinely make spot inspections to see that adherence to their specifications occur.

R/r 911