Do you keep a kit in the car?

chadwick

Forum Crew Member
I was just if you have a first response kit and also wondering what everyone else keeps in their POV as far as trauma bag, oxygen etc? I personally keep a trauma bag with everything in the world in it, an OB kit that I got cheap at Galls because the case was broken, an ambu bag, a box of gloves, a portable O2 cylinder and regulator, and c-collars. I wish I had an AED but its more money than I have to waste expecially since I started paramedic school. But anyway, just wondering.

renaissance

Forum Ride Along
I'm just an EMT-B so I keep a set of gloves and a CPR mouth barrier in my car. I usually hang my steth from the rear-view so I guess that's in there too. Not much our local protocol (San Diego, CA) allows us EMT-B's so there's not really much use keeping anything more in there until I become a medic.

Ohhh yah. My cell phone. Cuz if I run across anything drastic that's who I'm calling anyway even if I'm on duty. haha.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
I keep a kit in my trunk with just about what you would find in a first-in bag. Also my stethoscope with an Adult and Pediatric BP cuff, a box of gloves, and a CPR Barrier mask.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If you come upon any incidents off duty, you an emt-b. If you an emt-p, you can only operate as an emt-b.

There is little to no reason why one would need their own oxygen cylinder. Concentrated Oxygen is a drug that doctors write precriptions for. I question whether it is legal for someone with out a medical license can actually carry O2. Ambulances have medical directors (an MD/DO) who "prescibes" O2 for the ambulances use.

Yes I do carry a kit. It contains CPR equipment such as a mask and gloves. There is a blanket, my stethescope, a bp cuff and shears. There is also a couple of small trauma dressings. The stethescope is the most expensive item in the thing.

skyemt

Forum Captain
If you come upon any incidents off duty, you an emt-b. If you an emt-p, you can only operate as an emt-b.

There is little to no reason why one would need their own oxygen cylinder. Concentrated Oxygen is a drug that doctors write precriptions for. I question whether it is legal for someone with out a medical license can actually carry O2. Ambulances have medical directors (an MD/DO) who "prescibes" O2 for the ambulances use.

Yes I do carry a kit. It contains CPR equipment such as a mask and gloves. There is a blanket, my stethescope, a bp cuff and shears. There is also a couple of small trauma dressings. The stethescope is the most expensive item in the thing.

i agree... i have a first in bag containing the same, nothing more... i have actually taken stuff out of it, as i realize that most of it will not be used.

to have "everything in the world", well... just ain't gonna happen...

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I do its all trauma stuff and bp cuff/stethascope tho and an adjustable collar, no o2...My friends call it the buff bag ha

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I tossed all the old stuff I had never used from my personal kit and kept the stuff I need. I have a few bulky trauma dressings, gloves, stethoscope, BP cuff, some tape, tube of glucose.

In 20 years of being an EMT-P, my husband has delivered one baby, (not counting our own or the ones he assisted on in medic school) I figured it was a safe bet to ditch the OB kit. There's nothing in there you can't improvise with while waiting for the ambulance to show up.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Personal jump bag

This is what I carry in my personal jump bag: :)
"silver" recuse blanket (compact!)
1 large trauma dressing
6 ABD pads
4 rolls of 6 inch wrap gauze (Kling)
4 rolls of 4 inch wrap gauze (Kling)
12 packs of 4X4 dressings
1 500cc bottle of NACL
2 triangular bandages
1 SAM splint ( love them!)
2 rolls 2 inch tape
2 rolls 1 inch tape
2 rolls of Coban self- adherent wrap (great stuff!)
1 OB kit and 1 burn sheet
1 set of OPA's
eye gear, nitrile gloves, small flash light, BP cuff and stethoscope, trauma shears
waterless hand wash
pocket face mask (this one is by AMBU has adult and infant masks!)
large and small bandaids. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Actually, unless your state specifies you are a first responder only no matter what level you are.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Actually, unless your state specifies you are a first responder only no matter what level you are.

R/r 911

I mean first responder/emt-b as in only being able to do the most basic of bls skills if you come upon something. I don't think anyone can "respond" to these things legally. You know some medic is out there with IV starter kits, intubation kits etc in their personal bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I have a pocket mask in the glove box........ And yep that's it....

Thats why we have EMS. I feel sometimes the last thing we need is another car stopped along the road. Anywhere around here EMS is only a few minutes away.B)

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
I have chucked out a lot of the kit out my jumpbag, that i used to carry, until someone stole it out my vehicle. Now i have a small bag with only the bear minimum. It small enough to fit under the seat, but has enough to do something until the recources arrive. My motivation for carrying some equipment, is purely that should i need something for my family or friends who are in close proximity.

As for actually using it one day, i doubt it. I don't stop at scenes when in my PVT vehicle, as i can not confirm the intensions of the "patients" (Refering to thiefs who want to mug/rob you, as well as Cash Heists, etc.)

Epi-do

I see dead people
The kit that I used to carry has been stored in the back of a closet for the last several years. All I carry now is a cell phone, but since most people already have one of those, I typically only call if I am watching something happen right in front of me.

9 years ago when I started out, I wanted to save the world, and was always looking for some sort of "emergency" I could help out with. As I've gotten older, and done this job longer, I enjoy being off duty. I would just as soon stay anonymous as much as possible, instead of being "super-EMT" who is always "on duty." (I hope that doesn't come across as harsh. I don't mean it to be a slam - just that my perspective on things has changed as I have gotten older, and done the job longer.)

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a first responder bag which is very small and has only the necessities in it for an EMT-I. I carry it in my vehicle for special circumstances (family and friends)-depends on situation.

It is unfortunate that we cannot trust any patients next to the road, as paramedics/public have been conned into hijackings and robberies before. You gamble with your life when you stop...

Harsh to say, but that's the reality.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
The kit that I used to carry has been stored in the back of a closet for the last several years. All I carry now is a cell phone, but since most people already have one of those, I typically only call if I am watching something happen right in front of me.

9 years ago when I started out, I wanted to save the world, and was always looking for some sort of "emergency" I could help out with. As I've gotten older, and done this job longer, I enjoy being off duty. I would just as soon stay anonymous as much as possible, instead of being "super-EMT" who is always "on duty." (I hope that doesn't come across as harsh. I don't mean it to be a slam - just that my perspective on things has changed as I have gotten older, and done the job longer.)

That's exactly what I meant with my comments again the same thing.... Hoping it did come off too harsh.

DocPetey

Forum Probie
I don't carry one in the car, except a little box of band-aids. I'm big time into legal CYA (been there, done that, learned a HUGE lesson in Civil Torte proceedings), and since my state doesn't have a Good Sam law worth spit, I'll let the on-duty folks handle stuff.

My home kit? That's a TOTALLY different matter. Everything I'm legally allowed to have.

Now, by better half? He's SF. His med-kit is hard-core. Whoooooooo.....neat stuff in there. :eek:

Since both my husband and I ride motorcycles with a large group of military veterans, including the PGR (Patriot Guard Riders), I have med-kit in the saddle-bag that's customized for our needs.

That said, if you MUST have a personal use kit, make sure it's for PERSONAL use. Don't become the local free medical service for your extended family and neighborhood. (When friends/family call me for medical advice, my response is always "See your doctor.")