Do you have a partner or a co-worker riding with you? What's the diff?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I had two partners riding with me on the rescue truck (never simultanously), and one on ambulance (two, maybe); the rest were co-workers, sometimes very talented and friendly, but not the same as those with whom I "clicked" and we could just go "do it", no fumbling, not a lot of talk really necessary (leaving us free for a little banter with occasonal warnings).
Anyone have any feelings about this? (This was inspired bythe thread about "what" we are attracting to EMS nowadays).

Hastings

Noobie
I had two partners riding with me on the rescue truck (never simultanously), and one on ambulance (two, maybe); the rest were co-workers, sometimes very talented and friendly, but not the same as those with whom I "clicked" and we could just go "do it", no fumbling, not a lot of talk really necessary (leaving us free for a little banter with occasonal warnings).
Anyone have any feelings about this? (This was inspired bythe thread about "what" we are attracting to EMS nowadays).

I've always had co-workers. :sad:

I want a partner.

Maybe in time, co-workers will become partners. Yeah?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Buy 'em doughnuts and see which ones will get it the next time.

How about this:
"You know your co-worker is your partner when...".

reaper

Working Bum
To me a co-worker you work with only. A partner is not only your co-worker, but your friend off duty. I have had a few over the years. Now a days it seems like all you get is co-workers.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i have worked with quite a few people on an ambulance. <5% were "partners"

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm spoiled, as I have two partners. We work a 4 on 2 off schedule, so when one is off the other two are together. We have a bidding process yearly by seniority, and once "bid" that is your spot until you decide to vacate it. I have had one partner for the past 10 years, the other for the past 3. When one of us is on vacation or out sick, we will have another co-worker assigned it the spot, usually its fine, but nothing beats working with someone who knows what you want before you do. B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Never had a person I worked with not be my partner. Good or bad. They are just responsible for the care and things as I am. In between calls, even if we are "buddies" or not they still are my partner. Fellow co-workers are the ones not assigned with me or similar such as office staff or other divisions.

I have had numerous "good partners" and many not so good. Many times it is the timing between the two that makes it click. I know of many good ones, that we could never orchestrate a call together always bumping into each other, etc. I realized that they were good medics, and good people, just the two of us could never "click".

My friends are the ones off duty. They may be in EMS or not.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The way I look at it at work is this:
Co-workers are the people in the back office and in dispatch, and maybe in the other rigs as well
A partner is the person sitting there with me in the ambulance for 12 hours at a time.

MedicAngel

Forum Crew Member
I have been blessed with a partner. When I was running 5 days a week with my paramedic, she was my partner and she is still my friend. My other partner is my best friend off duty who is a medic. He has been very helpful when I had doubts about my own skills and now is there should I need help or have a question.

He also is as fond of "Blackjack" as I am...heheheB)

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
although we don't always "mesh" if you will, I work with a partner because no matter what, we got each others back while we're on the truck. Off truck, not so much... fortunately we do really well when needed though, kwim?

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
"Partner of the day" over here. My company is small enough though that everyone pretty much knows everyone and we all get along. not a big deal to me.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Never had a person I worked with not be my partner. Good or bad. They are just responsible for the care and things as I am. In between calls, even if we are "buddies" or not they still are my partner. Fellow co-workers are the ones not assigned with me or similar such as office staff or other divisions.

I have had numerous "good partners" and many not so good. Many times it is the timing between the two that makes it click. I know of many good ones, that we could never orchestrate a call together always bumping into each other, etc. I realized that they were good medics, and good people, just the two of us could never "click".

My friends are the ones off duty. They may be in EMS or not.
+1.

Although I've worked with a few who weren't partners... because I couldn't count on them. As I explained to a newer EMT at the vollie squad - As driver (Sorta the Israeli system... our driver's tend to be experienced EMT's and support some of the newer crew chiefs)... my job is to assist her with anything/everything onscene (including patient care) and to make sure she's ok (1=ME, 2=Partner, 3=Patient, 4=Everyone else)... Her job, in addition to patient care, is to "watch my back"... and the police are there to make sure we are BOTH OK. That is why we are PARTNERS... we have to rely on one another.

I've had a few people I couldn't count on... ever. VERY few.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
I don't care if you're a first responder with the ink still drying on your card that just got EVOC this morning, or if you've been on the street since Moby **** was a minnow.

You don't have to like me.

You don't have to be my friend.

You don't need to laugh at my jokes.

Hell, you could even like country music for all I care.

But when those tones drop, and we go responding, you'd better be my partner--because at least until we go available, I'm yours. Even if you are an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Some of the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s were damned good partners and some of the good people were damned poor ones. Just because I like talking to you in the bay doesn't mean I want you taking a call with me, dig.

In a perfect world, everyone with whom I was partnered would click with me, everything would go smoothly, and there would be no confusion, no disagreements, no problems... then again, in a truly perfect world... would there be a need for EMS?

Later!

--Coop

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sopme folks make better partners for a wider number of people.

Hmmmm. New thread forming.........<_<