DNR's And BLS: HELP! (Los Angeles County)

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
This is pretty interesting and one of the things I have tried to figure out. I've only seen one DNR and it was during my clinical rotation in the ER. It was a DNR/DNI. The patient was in a cardiology room (and the sweetest old lady). I didn't read through what it said but I noticed it had a bunch of stuff written out below DNR and DNI. Obviously she was okay with some kind of treatment (had daughters there too).

I just finished EMT-I school but haven't taken my practicals/computer test yet so I don't know squat. But from what I remember reading in I think Chapter 2 or 3 in my text book (I know you actual EMT/Medics hate that) is that it is better to be sitting in court for trying to do something than sitting in court for doing nothing. I'd probably try to contact medical control or if possible fax the DNR to a supervisor and possibly the ER to see what they say if time allows.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I just finished EMT-I school but haven't taken my practicals/computer test yet so I don't know squat. But from what I remember reading in I think Chapter 2 or 3 in my text book (I know you actual EMT/Medics hate that) is that it is better to be sitting in court for trying to do something than sitting in court for doing nothing. I'd probably try to contact medical control or if possible fax the DNR to a supervisor and possibly the ER to see what they say if time allows.

It's better to not be in a court room at all, and you'll find yourself in just as much legal trouble if you blatantly disregard a DNR as you would for withholding care from someone who wanted a full court press. This is one of the few issues where you'll find me always say to consult local procedure for honoring DNRs as local procedures can vary wildly from fairly hard to have a 'legitimate' DNR to very very easy. On scene is the absolute worst time to figure out something that could very easily had been learned before the call.