DNR DNI Unstable

vpemti

Forum Ride Along
So I have been an EMT for about a year now and I arrived on this call today and its been bugging me so what I'm looking for is input any of you out there could give and if you've experienced something like this before.

Got the call (BLS), This was from the ER to a med surg unit in a hospital about 50 miles away. As my partner was getting a report from the nurse, I went in to make patient contact and get a set of vitals. The patient WAS a DNR, diagnosed with lower lobe pneumonia and sepsis, came in with a blood glucose of 600 nearly escaping slipping into a coma. This patient was on a venturi mask on 10 liters, on a 3 lead showing pvc's and the patients pace maker was no longer working correctly. The patient was o2 saturation was good in the high 90's the systolic was in 160's. Pulse rate was adequate in the 70's. Now after informing my partner of this I was told more of the story. The patient did have some cardiac hx, but prior to our arrival the patients pulse had been dipping down into the 30's and 40's. We discussed this with the nurse and we had notified her that we are a BLS unit and although she was a DNR her cardiac issues were alarming. The nurse agreed to send the patient ALS for monitoring and other interventions besides cpr & intubation (obviously) if needed. Also we discussed the almost definite possibility of the patient passing away on the way to the other hospital. I discussed this with one of my dispatchers he agreed. So we left the hospital and on to another run. But the ER supervisor did not agree with the nurse the family or me. To me this was a transport that would result in the patient passing away in an ambulance with no family beside them at 9 at night for no reason besides the supervisor wants a vacant bed. Later on in the day I was talking to the dispatcher that I had previously talked to and he apparently did not hear me when I said DNR because the supervisor had called our company and chewed him out resulting in me getting chewed out. This really irritated me because now I was told I should have just taken the patient if they pass away oh well and keep on driving to my destination. This really is against so many morals in my book and ethically wrong. Even if my dispatcher would have not ignored when I mentioned DNR and told me to take it, I still would have refused. Im not comfortable doing that to another human being and their loved ones. Somehow DNR has translated into your no longer a human.

Am I right or wrong either way I went with instinct what do you feel I should have done emt life?

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
If your dispatcher agreed with you he shouldn't have changed his mind later. But remember the sending facility set it up BLS for a reason. The pt is a DNR, so the medic will have the same function as you in this case. If there was more than one family member there you could have asked if they would like to ride with you so try could be with them. Obviously they all knew the end was near, so they knew it could happen at any moment, ALS won't change that in this situation

OP
OP
V

vpemti

Forum Ride Along
yes i do agree with you there that als wouldnt have changed much, if the patient would have been going home on hospice boom done and done no questions asked. but als would be able to detect that the patients cardiac situation is going wrong before a bls unit could, yet still the care result would end the same way. its just the fact that they wanted the patient out of their hospital immediately just because they want an open bed and different insurance issues.only one family member was present and they had their car so they could not ride along.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
This was an ALS transfer in my opinion. Just because the pt had a DNR does not mean the pt doesn't want treatment. In the ALS bag of tricks we have fluids, atropine, dopamine, levophed, and TC Pacing. Any one of or combo of could keep the pt alive until definative tx at the next hosp. Sounds like they are getting a new pacemaker.

DNR does not mean do not treat.

As to the dispatcher, the call should have been recorded. Tell the supervisor to check the tape.

I have run into this situation at smaller hospitals. Usually the Dr. and nurses are not comfortable and do not have the equipment to properly look after these very sick pts. They want them out asap and will use whatever transport will get the pt out of there. The sending Drs usually forget they are responsible for the pts care until physically recieved and accepted by the recieving Dr. (At least thats the way it is here.)

I think you did the right thing.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
This was an ALS transfer in my opinion. Just because the pt had a DNR does not mean the pt doesn't want treatment. In the ALS bag of tricks we have fluids, atropine, dopamine, levophed, and TC Pacing. Any one of or combo of could keep the pt alive until definative tx at the next hosp. Sounds like they are getting a new pacemaker.

DNR does not mean do not treat.

As to the dispatcher, the call should have been recorded. Tell the supervisor to check the tape.

I have run into this situation at smaller hospitals. Usually the Dr. and nurses are not comfortable and do not have the equipment to properly look after these very sick pts. They want them out asap and will use whatever transport will get the pt out of there. The sending Drs usually forget they are responsible for the pts care until physically recieved and accepted by the recieving Dr. (At least thats the way it is here.)

I think you did the right thing.

Sometimes in end of life situations, DNR really DOES mean do not treat. It's important to clarify what the PATIENT'S priority is. Just because the ALS unit has dopa, levo and pacing and they are not CPR does not mean they don't constitute resuscitation.

All people die. Assess what the DNR means for THIS patient before assuming the patient wants all those interventions.

If a pt is being discharged home, there's no receiving doctor, just life. And if the sending doctor knows he's sending the patient to die, it just might not matter how the patient gets there.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Was this an end-of-life transfer or a transfer for treatment? If it was a transfer for further treatment, then yes, it probably should have been attended by a paramedic. That said, you have a "moral and ethical" obligation to recognize that this transfer is beyond your capabilities and help arrange for the proper resources. Whether this was another unit from your company or a different company, it's not really ethical to say "I wash my hands" and leave. Dispatch should have screened this out, but sometimes they get missed. A good option in this case is to seek out the treating ED physician, as they will often times be able to give you clues as to what the real reason for the transfer. I would probably also call my supervisor and give them a heads up so they can prepare for any consequences that may roll the way of the company.

All that said, I can't say from your description I honestly believe this patient was going to die in transit. Far, far sicker people are toted between facilities daily. She appeared to be oxygenating, and she was hemodynamicly stable without the aid of fluids or pressors. So I ask, what about this patient is particularly unstable? I don't see the patient passing away as "almost definite".

If this was an end-of-life transfer then you were 110% wrong for not transporting.

Also, don't take the "moral and ethical" stand because the ED needs the bed. If you inappropriately refused the transfer you potentially delayed treatment for several people while the bed was held for someone that had already been treated to the max care available in the ED, diagnosed and SHOULD have been discharged to a different unit. The managers job is to move the maximum amount of people through the ED. Taking up a bed with a patient that needs to be moved potentially causes other to get poorer care. What is "moral and ethical" about that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
^^^ You said what I was thinking much better than I could have.

Also, I do not agree that the chance of the patient dying without family present is a valid reason for not wanting to do a transfer. We do hospice transfers on a semi regular basis and family isn't always present, or doesn't want to ride along. Not to sound heartless, but it isn't feasible to put off a transfer just to wait for the family. I am more than willing to be accommodating within reason, but I also have to remember the needs of the sending and receiving facilities.*

*A lot of the Hospice patients around here live in facilities or in the Hospice House.

uhbt420

Forum Crew Member
okay so i see where you are coming from. wanting your pt to pass with family and friends at their side w/ dignity is an honorable thing, and shows a lot of maturty and care on ur part.

u talked to the rn, she agreed, you talked to your dispatcher, he agreed, so you did the right thing.

however. as a basic, or even a medic, u cant really determine wether or not a pt will die in transport, unless they are coding or something. i probly would have asked to see the dnr order, and i probly would have transported anyway.

BUT, it could be argued that ALS is necessery in this situation. for example, what if in transfer the pt starts having trouble breathing, and she says that she doesn't want to die? no more dnr, and no als either.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree although this pt isn't in great shape I don't think they are going to die on a 50 mile transfer. It sounds to me if they are going to a "Med Surg Unit" the decision has been made to give treatment and not palliative care. Other info would be nice to know such as age, quality of life, and other medical conditions. If the decision to treat has been made, then that's what should be done. Pneumonia and sepsis are treatable. Although they are easier for the body to fight if the heart is working properly. If a pacemaker can fix the heart problem, well they are relatively cheap and easy to put in and can make a huge difference in a persons day to day health.

zmedic

Forum Captain
My biggest issue is the legal one of what happens when a DNR patient dies in the back of your ambulance. When I was on the street the made a big deal about no one gets pronounced dead in the truck because then it is a crime scene and the unit is out of service for awhile. Now if you were transporting a DNR patient and they died on the way to the hospital it is reasonable to unload them into the ED and have the physician pronounce someone dead. I really have no idea what the protocol is if someone dies on the way home. I don't think you can unload a dead body from your ambulance and just put them into their bed and take off. I'm sure it varies from state to state but I wouldn't do the transfer unless there was a very clear plan and your supervisors sign off on "what happens if this patient dies enroute." Do you go back to the ED? To the funeral home?

Now in my medical student hat I'll say that I've had a few patients who I was sure was minutes away from dying and they hung on for a day or two longer than I was expecting. So if it was a short transport I would be more willing to do it. If we were going to be on the road for an hour I'm not sure.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The EDs here will not accept a dead patient. They will however let you park the ambulance in the bay until the coroner can get there. If someone died on the way home I would probably return to the sending facility and wait there. It is possible in a DNR patient situation the coroner may not respond, but we still need to be somewhere where the funeral home can meet us.

Last edited by a moderator:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a DNR pt die in my truck. End stage cancer, didn't want to die in the hospital. Wife was next to him when he died, all we did was give her time alone with her husband while we called the funeral home. They send a hearse and picked up the body and the wife, had the driver sign as receiving the body, and marked back in service. No crime scene, no police.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Out here, DNR means no compressions, ventilations, defibrillation, no pacing, or cardiotonic drugs. It doesn't mean "Do Not Treat". It means "Do Not Resuscitate".

As long as I am NOT doing one of those things... I can do it. As a Basic: No compressions, ventilations, AED.

Sometimes it can also mean No RLS travel. 99% of the time, I wouldn't do that anyway...

I would have transported that patient. Position of comfort, O2 PRN, family if requested. My destination may or may not change if the patient expires, per local protocol. Here, we're directed to continue to the destination hospital. I would expect that they'd be the ones to make arrangements. Another county authorized diversion to a mortuary if arrangements had already been made in the event that a DNR patient expired en-route to anywhere.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I was with Kattgrl on that one; no problems.

I was on another one that was going home to die; but did not have valid DNR, it was filled out correctly, but not signed by doctor yet. talked to ECF, family and our dispatcher. Dispatch/supervisor told us to take him home, that it wouldn't take long. WRONG
He died 2-3 minutes after we put him in his bed, still technically in our care. my partner put him on monitor to confirm, and I called ED to get orders not to work him. Dr ok'd us not working him. (Funny thing was, doc's name was Blank; try putting that on your run report, got alot of grief from that, no one believed me).
we stayed with family until Funeral home came and took body: ED doc ok'd not working patient, but won't do death certificate; had to get a family doc to sign and fax that to funeral home, family didn't know what to do. So we made all the calls; and it was after 1730 so getting things done was slower than normal.

we were there til almost 2100.

zmedic

Forum Captain
In some systems having an ambulance out of service for 4 hours is a huge deal. So I think you need to be very clear with the MD, dispatch, and the family what happens if the patient dies enroute. Even if the truck isn't a crime scene you are still stuck there until the funeral home comes for the body. So if you really think the pt is going to die soon make sure your supervisor is okay with you doing the transport even if it means you'll be out of service for awhile.

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
50 mile tx for dnr pt

i get where you are coming from. by all accounts this patient screamed als.
what matters is what the dnr allows or does not allow. some people want cpr only, some want fluids or feeding tubes. you see, it varies from person to person. read the dnr, then decide. the ed supervisor was absolutely ethical in clearing the way for more ed patients. your patient had been screened, and treated, and accepted by a physician to another facility in a med surg unit. all that an ed could do had been done. it sounds harsh, but it is what it is. B)

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
True story: I once did an ER to hospice run. Around here it's called a "Death run" because it's all end-of-life transfers. This guy was as close as you could get to unresponsive without actually being unresponsive...he DID have a DNR thank god, but I literally held a radial pulse for the entire 8 minute ride praying "please don't code, please don't code, please don't code"

As soon as we transferred care, I ran.