Discussion on "First Responders" -- and my keeness

TripperAdam

Forum Probie
I've become hugely interested in emergency medicine of late, and have become hugely keen on learning more-- this web forum (and others I've found) have been really interesting just to here more about EMT/Paramedic experiences and such.

I was wondering: for you EMTs/Mecids out there, did any of you first gain interest/experience by getting just First Responder training? Did you find means to start volunteering with those skills before moving onwards?

I like the idea that in the US, there are EMT-B levels that you can take part-time, and can then use as a volunteer. Where I live (Toronto, ON, Canada) the EMS is all ALS level of practice. To work in EMS, the earliest option is 2 years at a college/uni:glare: to become what's called "Primary Care Paramedic," to get training that fits somewhere between EMT-I and -P

A few months ago, I took Wilderness First Responder training which was 80 hours of training, spread out over 9 full days of pretty interesting classes/clinicals/practice, and lots of fun scenarios. With the W addition on the FR, you get quite solid patient assesement practice; a nice full range of BLS skills including AEDs and Airway Management/Oxygen (I'm not sure if regular FR training includes that); alot of trauma and spinal practice; some medical issue recognition (including an Anaphylaxis protocal); and complications with environmental extremes, extended patient care, and lack of resources (impromtu litters, splints).

With this WFR backround, I've become hugely interested in Paramedicine -- but I'm going to go to uni. to study something else. To spend 2 years studying to work as a paramedic doesn't appeal to me at this point. To promote my interests though, I've looked into a BTLS course provided by Toronto EMS; and have found a St. John Ambulance volunteer FR service that provides care at large public events. Hopefully I can get some real experience through this --- and I'm always ready to be a lay rescuer (with gloves and a pocket mask) whenever I'm out and about near people.
Part of my reason for WFR training is also that I work in outdoor recreation in the summer, bringing youth on remote canoe trips -- and though things haven't gone wrong to date, it's good to know how to deal with "oh :censored::censored::censored::censored:" situations... there have been many scenarios of camp councillors not knowing anything, and putting youth at risk.

Are there any other pre-EMT people on this board who can relate to any of this?

And I guess I want to open up another discussion: How often do any of you EMTs respond to a situation and find First Responders on scene? What are your experiences with them? (such as their assesment, treatment, and passing of info. to you)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey Adam. Welcome to EMTLife!

I am a MFR. I received my training while working on a security/fire/ems department up in Indiana. We provided all of the security, executive protection, industrial fire protection and emergency medical services for the automobile manufacturing plant. It was an awesome experience that really opened my eyes to Fire and EMS. I had many friends that also worked the streets as an EMT and I quickly realized that I didn't have a desire to be on a road-medic. I wanted to stay in this private world.

When I was in college I was double majoring in Law Enforcement and Security Management. While the classes for being a Medic interested me, I don't think I could stand learning nothing but that for two years. Sure I'd have my English and Math classes as well, but it just wasn't for me.

The bug bit me pretty hard when I was a MFR, but I never was the kind of person to always carry gloves and a pocket mask with me. Sure there was a time where I had a flexible breathing barrier and some gloves on a key chain, but after a few years of nothing happening around me that little kit quickly ended up in my glove compartment.... next to the 10 pairs of gloves I always had in there. :)

As for EMTs rolling up on scene and finding a MFR there, I can say it all depends on where you are. In Indiana (where I grew up) most of the area Fire Depts were volunteers and most of the vollies were MFR. So quite often when an ambulance rolled onto a scene (which with the except for two rigs all were AMR) the EMTs always had a MFR working the pt already. Now down here in Sarasota, FL, unless I'm on scene ;) you'll almost never find a MFR on scene first, basically because there is no need for them down here. All FF are EMT-B at the least and all are paid. You just don't have the volunteerism that you have up in the mid-west.

If you think being a medic is truly what you want to do, then you will do what you have to to get there. You're on the right track by contacting St. John's and trying to put in some time before making the leap.

No matter what, you've found a great place to gather information. Good luck and again, welcome to EMTLife!

Chimp

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
I started volunteering for the ski patrol when I was 15. When I had the opportunity to take EMT-B and have someone else pay for it, I took it. The community that I ski patrol in is hurting for EMTs and medics, so I decided to start running with the squad and the rest is history.

So I guess my answer is "kind of". Ski patrol training is similar to WFR, but is not recognized by DOT as anything more than first-aid. It was, however, the catalyst to make me want to further my emergency services training.

My experience with FRs on scene? I love em, I'll tell as much help as I can get. I worked an MVC with 3FFs (no FR training), a FR, and a duputy sheriff. The FR was a life saver. He showed up and made life sooooooo much easier. The duputy must have been trained in some sort of emergency training as well because he knew how to strap the guy to the backboard, how to roll him, etc. If only the FR had been there sooner!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I love first responders! I can always make use of them...and the ones around here are great and love to help EMS...especially the ones on my FD...:p

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I started out as a MFR. Did it for about 6 months and went directly to B school. On my volly dept there are many FR's who are extremely helpful to have in the rig, onscene with me. I never let them refer to themselves as "Just" a first responder. They have their role and if done right is just as valuable as any other in EMS.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I started out as an EMT-Basic on a department that didn't have any MFR's.

I do agree that having the various levels can be a good process for weeding out those who don't really belong or have the desire to work in this field before they spend 2 years and a bunch of $$$ in college.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i started out in Jan of '73 freezing in a road slipping into shock and unconsciousness

now the thing about thinking it's game over is that one tends to grasp onto anything that one can in the physical world

that's how i felt about the two 1st responders whom came to me

to this day i maintain that anyone whom wishes to help, and has the moves, may do so on my watch....

and anyone whom wants to give a 1st responder s**t (especially you ems nazi's out there) for doing so will certainly get a ration of my rath...

~S~

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
They are helpful, I'm an EMT-B myself. We have the occasional first responder at my department and they're darn helpful. A lot of firefighters around here are first responders. I would trust a lot of the first responders here before I would a lot of the other Basics.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think I've ever met an actual "First Responder" here in PA..? But I can't be too sure, as I've just never seen anyone with a DOH FR patch on their uniform.

Although one area service did get in hot water for slapping patches on their FR's that were titled "Emergency Medical Tech.-First Responder" and letting them run the ambulance. Which is a big no-no... Staffing must be 1 EMT/1 Medic, 2 EMT's, 1 EMT/1FR and 1 Driver, or 1 EMT/1 Driver on non-emergent runs. As along as there is an EMT w/ the patient. They were crewing all calls with <FIVE> first responders... While they had quite a few trained personnel on board, they didn't have an EMT, which made it illegal. While I agree with the laws, certain calls would be okay staffed only by FR's.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
The FR's I work with are trained only as that, first response, up to packaging a patient. Past that their training does not really allow for extended pt care. If I have a couple of them show up onscene I will try to allow for 1 to ride in back but all I can allow them to really do is vitals, which to me is important. The only way 2 FR's can take a rig to a call is if instructed to by a Basic or higher who is already onscene. I am sure it could be different at other agencies.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome! :) :) :)

Actually, we don't have first responders here or a volunteer program. We're either EMT-B's or FF/-B's. (Then of course Paramedics). The closest we have is a CERT team our city has put together just this last month to help when we have hurricanes or disasters. So I've never come across any first responders myself.

I got into this because after my husband had been a cop for 6 months we went out to dinner and a woman had an accident. As a deput/first responder he went to help her and called the ambulance. I had taken the last 4 years off of work to raise our children and was ready to go back to work or school. Since I have been in some form of the medical field since I was 15 (vet tech, then pharmacy) and I didn't want to finish my pharmacy degree I was at a loss until the medics came that night and it clicked that that would be the perfect job. The next week I enrolled and when my husband switches to the day shift this month I'm going to be working part time. (Can't wait!).

You're on the right path. I jumped into it and got a bit of a shock, I actually got accepted into -P school, but decided to get my feet wet first in the field. Good Luck to you and please feel free to ask us anything! It's good to meet you.

subzero_sapphire

Forum Ride Along
I have run into a few first responders on a scene, and I say, they are as helpful as their training and expereince allow them to be. I have seen FR that are more talented than some EMT'Bs, I think it all depends on the individual person.....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I work as an EMT who preforms in a Quick Response / First Responder role... not a bad gig. I get to treat, have minimal paperwork, and don't have to go to the hospital (One of these days I'll probably end up going to help... but we'd be coding the pt - and I'd really be going to get a pair of scrubs to change into ;) ).

At work we have a "first responder" program - which gives "joe employee" CPR/AED and basic first aid. I don't totally like the name, but they help... they get all the info and fill out the company's in-house accident/injury report - I only have to do my Security Medical response forms ;).

I have worked with MFR's, and some of the best "drivers" I know are MFR's, and the OLNY reason they aren't an EMT is that they refuse to go and "start from scratch" with EMT school.

Last edited by a moderator:

TalkEMS

Forum Ride Along
First Responders serve their role around here (Central Indiana) pretty well. Almost every vol. FF is a FR and they do a good job getting the pt packaged, getting a history, getting vitals, etc before we even get there! All we got to do is load the pt and go.

Matt - TalkEMS.com

Last edited by a moderator: