Diluting Meds in Flushes? *poll*

Is it safe to dilute drugs in saline flushes?

• Yes

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Yes we agree. I was pointing out that the interior of the pre-filled NS barrel that was covered by the sterile saline but becomes exposed when the plunger is depressed is still as sterile as any other freshly exposed sterile field for the intent of pulling the plunger right back when drawing up.

ah...got it.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I agree it is probably not a big deal and I do it too. Still, it's a consideration.

ParamagicFF

Forum Crew Member
My agency was without prefilled epi 1:10 for close to a year. We used flushes to dilute 1:1 ampules. I don't see a problem with it.

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
There is no problem with it. Some of this detailed sterile not sterile makes me laugh. There are moments when it matters but to the extent that has been discussed here. Eh. Most likely not a big deal.

phideux

Forum Captain
The only thing I can ad is if you are drawing your meds up in a flush, and pushing it through a lock, the patient is not getting the full dose of meds until you break out another flush to push the remaining meds out of the lock.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
The only thing I can ad is if you are drawing your meds up in a flush, and pushing it through a lock, the patient is not getting the full dose of meds until you break out another flush to push the remaining meds out of the lock.

Don't know what this means, but an empty 12 cc syringe plugged into an IV line port to aspirate IV fluid from a bag to then bolus anterograde IV is a verry efficient way to flush and expidate onset of Rx.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There is no problem with it. Some of this detailed sterile not sterile makes me laugh. There are moments when it matters but to the extent that has been discussed here. Eh. Most likely not a big deal.
Not sure what's worth laughing at here. Most likely not a big deal, you are right - I think that's pretty much the consensus that we've come to.

But how do you come to that conclusion without looking into it (discussing it with informed others)? Were you just born with this knowledge?

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure what's worth laughing at here. Most likely not a big deal, you are right - I think that's pretty much the consensus that we've come to.

But how do you come to that conclusion without looking into it (discussing it with informed others)? Were you just born with this knowledge?

You don't come to that conclusion without learning the concept or what a flush is. What normal saline is. How it acts when introduced to the circulatory system. I laugh cause it's a basic concept that most basic emt education should cover. And they only assist with prescribed medication. In hospital, in sterile environments like SDS that stuff really matters. In the field you make it as sterile as possible and call it a run. Doesn't mean you disregard sterality. It's a basic concept that has been taken to a funny extreme. That's why I laugh. Not because it isn't something to learn.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You don't come to that conclusion without learning the concept or what a flush is. What normal saline is. How it acts when introduced to the circulatory system. I laugh cause it's a basic concept that most basic emt education should cover. And they only assist with prescribed medication. In hospital, in sterile environments like SDS that stuff really matters. In the field you make it as sterile as possible and call it a run. Doesn't mean you disregard sterality. It's a basic concept that has been taken to a funny extreme. That's why I laugh. Not because it isn't something to learn.
The question was about patient safety as related to the sterility of prefilled flushes. I don’t recall the sterility of specific pharmacologic items being covered in my EMT class. It’s a good enough question that it comes up pretty routinely in various clinical circles. Glad we could provide you with some comedy, though.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think we know what NS is, it's about how the device is prepared not the solution though.