Dilemma - CPR on pt. with invalid DNR form

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with what people are saying about respecting the patients/famlies wishes about not doing CPR when thier heart stops, but one question I had was, does the receiving hospital still take the patient when they are dead? Especially when you call for a time of death? I didn't read all 60 or so replies so if it has already been answered I am sorry.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I agree with what people are saying about respecting the patients/famlies wishes about not doing CPR when thier heart stops, but one question I had was, does the receiving hospital still take the patient when they are dead? Especially when you call for a time of death? I didn't read all 60 or so replies so if it has already been answered I am sorry.

If you call it in the field, then you call law enforcement. They'll get the coroner involved and take it from there. We don't transport dead bodies to the hospital (despite what Hollywood says).

If you call it en route (uncommon but had it happen for me once on a long rural transport), our policy is to transport non-emergently to the nearest ED and contact law enforcement. Hospitals have morgues to keep the body until the coroner comes to collect it.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
If you call it in the field, then you call law enforcement. They'll get the coroner involved and take it from there. We don't transport dead bodies to the hospital (despite what Hollywood says).

If you call it en route (uncommon but had it happen for me once on a long rural transport), our policy is to transport non-emergently to the nearest ED and contact law enforcement. Hospitals have morgues to keep the body until the coroner comes to collect it.

Some hospitals do have morgues. Some do not.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant

Should have specified more. I meant in back of the ambulance, not on scene. Thanks for the answers. Calling for time of death in back of ambulance is rare so I was just wondering what happens when you do.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Normally when the hospital does not have a morgue, the patient's bed u s where he or she stays, until removed by coroner, wasting viable space.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger

I felt that I had to add that I actually needed to look up what the protocol was for terminating a code during transport. It was an unusual situation and I doubt it will happen again in my career.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Even if they don't have a morgue, they've got somewhere they can stash a body. Like the cafeteria! They've got freezers in there, right?

The decon room in the ED... (and I'm only half joking... but when it's only a couple hours waiting for the coroner to show up...).