Difference between IV cert and Phlebotomy

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah, found it. One of the JHU buildings has an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit on the eight floor.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Ah, found it. One of the JHU buildings has an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit on the eight floor.

I was close. Emergency started with an E and Medical started with M, and I got the unit part right...:p

khorosho

Forum Ride Along
Can you imagine being partnered up with the worst student in phlebotomy class on a practical day. Ouch... :unsure:

Yes. Also throughout the course. My first choice of partner for practice was a huge powerlifter guy with pipeline veins a blind man could hit from across the room if he lobbed a rig backwards over his shoulder. But often I got stuck with HER, a drop-dead gorgeous fetching young lass with big blue eyes, brilliant pearly whites, and a smooth salon tan, among other noticeable assets. :wub:: Firmly achoring her median cubital, the room hushed in silence, I takes me a deep breath. Relax. Smile. Don't look at her face or body, just the vein; there is only the vein, nothing else. Think bradycardia. Hypoperspiration. Steady. Hold the vacutainer gently but firmly, like a pool cue. OMMMMmmmm. Remember:professionalism. Just a walk in the park. T'was a done deal until she coquettishly interjects: "Do I make you nervous?" (giggle, giggle). And she winks at me! Ignore the Siren's song. My knees weakened, steam arose from my under my collar. (Some other stuff happened which I can't mention here.):wacko:The stick was done, the draw went flawlessly. Quantity sufficient. No bandaid necessary; she simply batted her eyelashes and the hemorraging obeyed. And after graduation she slipped away into the world, and into the broken heart archives of medical history.....
Oh yeah, and she loved horses.

8jimi8

CFRN
Yes. Also throughout the course. My first choice of partner for practice was a huge powerlifter guy with pipeline veins a blind man could hit from across the room if he lobbed a rig backwards over his shoulder. But often I got stuck with HER, a drop-dead gorgeous fetching young lass with big blue eyes, brilliant pearly whites, and a smooth salon tan, among other noticeable assets. :wub:: Firmly achoring her median cubital, the room hushed in silence, I takes me a deep breath. Relax. Smile. Don't look at her face or body, just the vein; there is only the vein, nothing else. Think bradycardia. Hypoperspiration. Steady. Hold the vacutainer gently but firmly, like a pool cue. OMMMMmmmm. Remember:professionalism. Just a walk in the park. T'was a done deal until she coquettishly interjects: "Do I make you nervous?" (giggle, giggle). And she winks at me! Ignore the Siren's song. My knees weakened, steam arose from my under my collar. (Some other stuff happened which I can't mention here.):wacko:The stick was done, the draw went flawlessly. Quantity sufficient. No bandaid necessary; she simply batted her eyelashes and the hemorraging obeyed. And after graduation she slipped away into the world, and into the broken heart archives of medical history.....

sounds like you didn't speak up, no? Learn that lesson bro, unless you are already married or something! :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was close. Emergency started with an E and Medical started with M, and I got the unit part right...:p

Not to rub it in, but:
[YOUTUBE]WrjwaqZfjIY[/YOUTUBE]

OP
OP
P

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member

If you're in EMS, you're in the wrong field...

OP
OP
P

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member
So, I asked the IV cert teacher, and she said we will be certified to do phlebotomy. I dont know if that means we will have some certification aside from IV but that is what it sounded like.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In answer to the title

Ummm, phlebotomists learn early not to advance the needle usually. And not to put stuff in, just take it out.;)
I learned phlebotomy at a doc in a box after six months starting everything an ER. I tried to put the needle halfway up the vein...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do you say that, friend? Quite an assumption on your part, don't you think. I am relating a tale, to be taken in the lighthearted spirit given. Get over yourself. Bring it.

I agree. The reaction you had to an attractive female occurred in a social situation. Our reactions to things that occur in emergency situations can be quite different to what happens in a social situation.

Anyone who lacks that distinction is the person who shouldn't be in EMS.

Johnny_B_Good

Forum Probie

This reminds me of a chapter of Michael Chichton's book "Travels", where Michael himself had a really HOT pt and had trouble doing his job. Great book, btw.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
Hahah sorry about the emu.... My phone likes to autocorrect emt to emu. Nice picture lucid. Paradog, where are you taking your IV?