Difference between IV cert and Phlebotomy

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member
So i am getting my IV cert and I was wondering if that would make me eligible for a phlebotomist position? I know they are different but my IV class has a phlebotomy section. What of it?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Phleb classes are significantly more intensive than the quick CO 24-hr IV approval course. At a community college.... a solid semester.. 4-8 credit hours.

Phlebs obviously focus on drawing blood, and typically use straight needles. EMT + IV approval focuses on starting lines.... yes you may learn, as I did, how to get a couple of tubes off a cath, but we never used straight needles or any other equipment really designed specifically for drawing blood besides a vacutainer.

As far as getting a job as one, I guess it's possible but you're going to have a rough time. When you turn in an application and resume at almost all of the big hospitals and health care systems out here, the first person who's going to see it is gonna be a HR generalist. All they're looking for is minimum qualifications. If one of those qualifications is AMT certification as a phleb and you don't have it, they toss your stuff right off the bat.

Even if you apply somewhere smaller, there's still a good chance they are specifically looking for a certified phleb, for good reason, and won't look at you without the cert.

clibb

Forum Captain
So i am getting my IV cert and I was wondering if that would make me eligible for a phlebotomist position? I know they are different but my IV class has a phlebotomy section. What of it?

My understand is Phlebotomy is withdrawl, IV is injection.
IV certification will teach you how to draw blood and where/how to insert an IV and D50.
Phlebotomy is just drawing blood for testing.

zmedic

Forum Captain
It depends where you work and in what capacity. When I was in Colorado a lot of my friends were EMT techs in the ER. They wanted them to have IV certs because they needed to be able to start lines. Some of them got put through phlebotomy training by the hospital.

I think it's going to depend on the hospital where you are. You might as well check out their job posting websites and call them.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
In phlebotomy, you learn the use of Vacutainers, Butterflies, order of the draw, and special techniques such as the proper techniques with regard to legal bac draws where you would use zeffrin instead of alcohol, or a lactate where you would collect the sample on ice without a tourniquet. You also learn the difference between the various tubes (EDTA, Chem Tubes, etc) as well as what tubes can be used for what and the amounts of which you will be using. Furthermore, you are taught proper collection of samples with regard to avoiding hemolysis of your sample.

IV Therapy is more in line with the administration and management of venous access devices, dosage calculations and drip rates, and special considerations for admixtures, etc (depending on the level of IV Therapy you are taking, be it EMT-IV, LPN, Paramedic, RN, etc).

I am not aware if this applies in any other state, but I know for an absolute fact that the state of TN does not require you to hold a phlebotomy certification to be a phlebotomist as I worked as one for years. You are allowed to learn on the job and after 1 year can even test for your phlebotomy certification. IV Therapy however requires credentials and training to perform.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Working as an ER Tech is a lot different than working as a phleb. At the hospital in ABQ I worked in as an IV certified tech (basically ER Tech working on the floor), I was not eligible to transfer to lab as a phleb. And All the phleb positions I've looked into applying for here in CO says you must have that specific cert, not just an IV cert.

OP
OP
P

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info. Seems like there is a lot of difference between the states/providers.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
There is a tech who works at the hospital I work at who is part time Ed tech part time phlebotomist. I am currently in iv class as well and we where specifially told we could work as phlebotomists after our iv cert and that hospitals like to higher iv trained emus as phlebotomist so they can start ivs on floors. How ever in my hospital they are pushing so iv certified emt transporters are going to do ivs on floors as well as for imaging procedures.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you imagine being partnered up with the worst student in phlebotomy class on a practical day. Ouch... :unsure:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There is a tech who works at the hospital I work at who is part time Ed tech part time phlebotomist. I am currently in iv class as well and we where specifially told we could work as phlebotomists after our iv cert and that hospitals like to higher iv trained emus as phlebotomist so they can start ivs on floors. How ever in my hospital they are pushing so iv certified emt transporters are going to do ivs on floors as well as for imaging procedures.

I wish someone told the hospitals I've been applying at that. :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

I would love to see an IV Trained Emu! j/k (sorry, I had to do it)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I would love to see an IV Trained Emu! j/k (sorry, I had to do it)

So who called for a blood draw?

emu-2.jpg

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
It's true, there really are emus in hospitals. I know this for a fact because I once discovered where they're kept:

attachment.php

Attachments

• emustorageroom.jpg
    emustorageroom.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,051

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Not trying to one-up you Sandog but I had this one started before you posted...

emuba.jpg

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Yours is funnier... Good one.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the "EMU" on the sign I posted actually likely stands for?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the "EMU" on the sign I posted actually likely stands for?

Emergency Medical Unit? Or, eat my undies...:)

The last part was just a joke by the way...

Last edited by a moderator:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
It's been awhile since I took that photo. But I don't think there was an Emergency Medical Unit on the 8th floor of any hospitals I've ever been in.

(Edited addition) Just checked the location of the photo from its GPS tag, it was taken somewhere in Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief