Diabetic EMT

OP
OP
J

Jon925

Forum Probie
Im really loving all the feedback, ok...

so I have actually looked into becoming an ER tech, but as far as I know, at least in my area, generally they only hire people with field experience, which, at this point I dont have. I guess push comes to shove, I could do some volunteer work to build some experience that way.

Also, I have read that a lot of other states dont require a CDL ambulance cert...I dont really know the reasoning for one state to require it while another doesnt but I guess rules are rules...Regardless, Im not really sure if thats an option at the moment. But possibly sometime down the road it may be.

Those of you that said you have diabetic friends that are also drivers, can you elaborate a little, does your state / county require a CDL Ambulance cert ? if so, any idea how they went about getting through the loops with the DMV ?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Those of you that said you have diabetic friends that are also drivers, can you elaborate a little, does your state / county require a CDL Ambulance cert ? if so, any idea how they went about getting through the loops with the DMV ?
No... You can operate any EMS/FIRE emergency vehicle with a standard drivers licence with no CDL. It says on the back of every Oregon standard class C "good for any single vehicle with a GVWR of not more than 26,000 pounds with the proper endorsements. ANY EMERGENCY VEHICLE operated by a firefighter" I think the firefighter rule also applies to us, because we do not need an endorsement of any kind or CDL.

OP
OP
J

Jon925

Forum Probie
Interesting...I feel thats the way it should be...as I said before, the weight or number of passengers in transport simply isnt there for it to be considered a CDL, although, here it basically is.

Thanks!

I spoke with the coco county medical director, he said basically everything that we have covered in this thread. Basically to try and find a company that will hire a non-driver emt, or possibly to check into industrial sites or hospitals that use EMT's in the ED.

Although I am not entirely sure what other certifications and or training I would need to qualify as an ER Tech.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is pure speculation on my part. From looking at the CA Ambulance Drivers Certificate, it looks like the DMV wanted to place reasonable physical standards on drivers, make sure that there was at least some understanding of the law in regards to ambulance operations (every ambulance driver in California, for example, should have no trouble indicating that the only emergency light that matters is the forward facing burning red lamp and that the siren is supposed to be used as needed), and ensure that everyone has a background check (which, as of July 1st of this year, is now required by the state to get an EMT cert instead of being left up to the Local EMS Agency (County EMS). In order to do so, instead of designing a new system, they just took the system that everyone, including local health care providers, was already used to, which was the CDL physical. On one had, I don't necessarily feel unsafe with a well controlled diabetic driving. On the other hand, it's nice to know that uncontrolled epileptics aren't driving ambulances.

Roam

Forum Crew Member
My wife has been a sheriff's deputy for the past five years with type 1. She is amazing and never lets the diabetes get out of hand. She always carries extra glucose and constantly checks her BGL. My wife didn't have to use any extra paperwork with the DMV when she went to patrol, but we live in a pretty sparse state. Never let diabetes hold you back!

I think every EMT-B is having a hard time finding work (if not let me know where the jobs are!) regardless of medical history. Good luck getting work!

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
what is it they say about motorcylists?

... there are 2 kinds, those that have fallen and those that will.

To the OP:

I think it is great that you are determined to pursue your professional aspirations, and I'm sure it is very encouraging to read some of the success stories of those that share similar medical conditions. Unfortunately, with insulin dependant diabetes, no matter how vigilant you are with your daily care, you will eventually have an "episode". How severe will it be? Who knows, but it is bound to happen.

All it takes is for one (medication) non-compliant or undiagnosed individual (not you per say) to ruin for everyone, and I'm sure it has happened in spectacular fashion at some point in the past. This is why you are facing an uphill battle. Don't take it personal, and keep some other options on the table if things don't go your way.

Good Luck!

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
It must just be your state and also the fact you need a CDL? In Oregon you just need a regular drivers licence.

It's not a CDL in California either, it's an "certificate" which is added to your existing license (just like a motorcycle endorsement.) You take a written test, get fingerprinted and get a physical. But it doesn't change your class of license, you just get a little piece of paper.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Although I am not entirely sure what other certifications and or training I would need to qualify as an ER Tech.

I have seen hospitals that will take an EMT-B or CNA and then give them the additional training needed to be an ED Tech. IE: acquiring 12-leads, phlebotomy.

scems

Forum Ride Along
Hey Jon. I'm in literally the exact same situation as you. Type 1 Diabetic. Newly registered NREMT-B. I've never had a severe episode in my life and I'm in excellent control. It really is disgusting how they can pile all type 1 diabetics into one big "liability" catagory. All my life I've been told I can do whatever I want even if i have diabetes yet I always run into the same roadblock. The goverment.

I'm willing to bet after having this disease for so long that I am healthier than half of the people the dl50 clears. I know my body extremely well and I have a very healthy diet. Yet that's not enough. Ugh. sorry...Keep your head up and let me know how it goes with the state. I'll be applying for mine soon as well.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Hey Jon. I'm in literally the exact same situation as you. Type 1 Diabetic. Newly registered NREMT-B. I've never had a severe episode in my life and I'm in excellent control. It really is disgusting how they can pile all type 1 diabetics into one big "liability" catagory. All my life I've been told I can do whatever I want even if i have diabetes yet I always run into the same roadblock. The goverment.

I'm willing to bet after having this disease for so long that I am healthier than half of the people the dl50 clears. I know my body extremely well and I have a very healthy diet. Yet that's not enough. Ugh. sorry...Keep your head up and let me know how it goes with the state. I'll be applying for mine soon as well.

I'm not a diabetic myself but I tend to agree with you. It should be the doctor's discretion, period. As long as it's under medical surveillance and continues to stay under control, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to drive. There is no way to eliminate all medical risk; I think I'm pretty healthy, but I could have a brain aneurysm and crash the rig tonight.

scems

Forum Ride Along
... there are 2 kinds, those that have fallen and those that will.

To the OP:

I think it is great that you are determined to pursue your professional aspirations, and I'm sure it is very encouraging to read some of the success stories of those that share similar medical conditions. Unfortunately, with insulin dependant diabetes, no matter how vigilant you are with your daily care, you will eventually have an "episode". How severe will it be? Who knows, but it is bound to happen.

All it takes is for one (medication) non-compliant or undiagnosed individual (not you per say) to ruin for everyone, and I'm sure it has happened in spectacular fashion at some point in the past. This is why you are facing an uphill battle. Don't take it personal, and keep some other options on the table if things don't go your way.

Good Luck!

I agree with everything you said except for what i put in bold. Just because one has type 1 diabetes, doesn't mean they are absolutely guaranteed to have an "episode" as you described it. Being vigilant means checking your blood sugar frequently (an upwards of 8-10 times a day). It means even using a continuous blood glucose montoring system (what I use) that checks your blood glucose every 5 minutes and then transmits the reading directly to your insulin pump. Because it checks your BGL so much, it is able to graph your readings and tell you if you are trending downwards or upwards and will alarm you if your blood sugar is about to go too low. Basically your insulin pump will tell you you're about to go low before you even feel the affects.

I'm not a diabetic myself but I tend to agree with you. It should be the doctor's discretion, period. As long as it's under medical surveillance and continues to stay under control, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to drive. There is no way to eliminate all medical risk; I think I'm pretty healthy, but I could have a brain aneurysm and crash the rig tonight.

exactly.

Anyways. I've been doing some surfing and I think our best bet is to contact the American Diabetes Association and ask them the details on the california CDL. I believe there is at least one diabetic in California driving an ambulance and chances are he/she went through the ADA.

ajax

Forum Crew Member
I think every EMT-B is having a hard time finding work (if not let me know where the jobs are!) regardless of medical history. Good luck getting work!

Boston, right now. The best way to get an EMS job is to orchestrate a massive educational scandal, have OEMS suspend the licenses of 100s of EMTs, and have a pulse.

MA does not have a different license designation for ambulance driving. I applied to my job, didn't mention diabetes (but left my pump tubing hanging out of my pocket, as usual), and got the job.

The only thing I've had to worry about it where to put my pump in the facilities where we have to go inside the 5 gauss line to pick our pt up from MRI.

akrall83

Forum Probie
I'm getting ready to start this battle myself. I've been type 1 for 20 years and rarely have any kind of issue with my blood sugar, never while driving. I always test before I get behind the wheel. Blanket policies like this infuriate me. There have been numerous studies that show a type 1 diabetic is much less likely to have an accident caused by a medical issue than a type 2 on oral medication, yet type 2's don't have an issue based soley on that diagnosis as long as they aren't being treated with insulin. There are type 1 diabetics who drive ambulances in California, I've met them, but they were grandfathered in before the rules changed at the DMV a few years ago. I'm not giving up though, and if I have to, I'll move out of state for my EMT hours before I start paramedic school.

scems

Forum Ride Along
I'm getting ready to start this battle myself. I've been type 1 for 20 years and rarely have any kind of issue with my blood sugar, never while driving. I always test before I get behind the wheel. Blanket policies like this infuriate me. There have been numerous studies that show a type 1 diabetic is much less likely to have an accident caused by a medical issue than a type 2 on oral medication, yet type 2's don't have an issue based soley on that diagnosis as long as they aren't being treated with insulin. There are type 1 diabetics who drive ambulances in California, I've met them, but they were grandfathered in before the rules changed at the DMV a few years ago. I'm not giving up though, and if I have to, I'll move out of state for my EMT hours before I start paramedic school.

Good luck with it! I've gathered that there are at least 4 diabetics going through this situation including me so keep us updated on what goes on with the dmv! I'm going to drive down to the dmv tomorrow and try and get some information from the horse's mouth on this whole thing.

It seems to me like the hard part is the medical examiner's card.

OP
OP
J

Jon925

Forum Probie
This thread has grown to be quite inspirational, Im overjoyed that other type 1 diabetics have joined in and are sharing their input. My advice to all of you is hang in there, keep pushing, keep pressing for information, and good things will come.

The truth of the matter is, that there ARE type 1 diabetics throughout EMS, firefighters, emts and medics alike. They ARE out there, and the chances are they got to where they are through hard work and determination. I can see that you all have that, as do I.

It truly is said that there is a lot of ignorance and bias when it comes to diabetes, I think we work so much with diabetic complications in the field that its so easy to make the assumption that diabetes is an, vaguely uncontrollable disease that is destined to lead to problems, when in reality, it is extremely controllable. What was said in the above post is absolutely right, with vigorous testing and such, it is very possible, to live an entirely normal life, after all, whose to say you will have an episode if you always know what your bg levels are at because youre constantly testing, whose to say that you will fall too low if you carefully count your carbs through numerous resources including nutritional values etc...

regardless of all the loopholes that the DMV may put you through for a CDL, ive been taking steps, as to apply for attendant positions, rather than a driver position, for the time being. Ive also been looking into jobs as an ER tech, and ALSO, considering moving out of state, if need be, to get the experience I need before medic school. Whether or not the CDL causes an issue, dont let it hold you back, and dont ever let anyone tell you that it CANT be done.

Keep up the hard work ! ;) It'll pay off

Last edited by a moderator:

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
What a topic, this is a great discussion. Being diabetic type 2 with insulin its hard because you always feel singled out. People forget that they too can have any kind of episode of their own thats worse than what we go through and it doesnt hinder them in getting a certification. (Alergic reactions, cardiac, cancer etc... )

I am in WA state and so far havent found anything hindering me in driving - currently i am on with a volunteer agency that "Does" transport, and is a transporting agency. so I do a lot of transfers and normal medical calls.

Maybe for experience you can get into a volunteer position where you dont have to drive? Then you can look at ER tech spots there in CA. I think ER tech would be an exciting job and am applying for those myself.

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
What a topic, this is a great discussion. Being diabetic type 2 with insulin its hard because you always feel singled out. People forget that they too can have any kind of episode of their own thats worse than what we go through and it doesnt hinder them in getting a certification. (Alergic reactions, cardiac, cancer etc... )

I am in WA state and so far havent found anything hindering me in driving - currently i am on with a volunteer agency that "Does" transport, and is a transporting agency. so I do a lot of transfers and normal medical calls.

Maybe for experience you can get into a volunteer position where you dont have to drive? Then you can look at ER tech spots there in CA. I think ER tech would be an exciting job and am applying for those myself.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Jon - I spent 3 weeks down in Louisiana after Katrina with a partner that was a Type I diabetic. He was very careful, and in all the time I worked with him (both home and there) I never saw him have any issues.

If you are careful and well controlled, you should be just fine... but you'll have to hope the poopyheads at the State understand the disease as much as you.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
To the OP - choose another state and move.
Seriously, come on down to the Lone Star State! Everything's more awesome here: the country's bigger, the stadiums are bigger, the hats are bigger, the barbecue's bigger, the hair's bigger, the boobies are...

...you get the idea...