Developing CE classes

milehimedic

Forum Probie
There is a non-profit in my city that provides syringe exchange, substance abuse counseling, and healthcare services specific to IVDU populations. They're looking for alternative sources of revenue to fund their operating expenses, and the idea of teaching CE classes came up as one possible approach.

How does a facility become certified to teach CE classes that will count toward a emt-b or p's hours? Is there a national accrediting body? Have any of you ever gone through this process?

Arovetli

Forum Captain
There is a non-profit in my city that provides syringe exchange, substance abuse counseling, and healthcare services specific to IVDU populations. They're looking for alternative sources of revenue to fund their operating expenses, and the idea of teaching CE classes came up as one possible approach.

How does a facility become certified to teach CE classes that will count toward a emt-b or p's hours? Is there a national accrediting body? Have any of you ever gone through this process?

what makes you think a medic is going to give you money for your class?

http://www.cecbems.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Why would someone take this class? Who would teach it? I don't mean to sound harsh, but needle exchanges are a bit controversial. I can imagine many paramedics who deal with these patients might not be so keen about funding a needle exchange with their CE hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How does a facility become certified to teach CE classes that will count toward a emt-b or p's hours?

If you want the hours to be good for NREMT recert, you'll need to get CECBEMS approval.

If its just state or local requirements you are worried about, you'd need to get ahold of the state EMS board.

EMTs are notoriously cheap when it comes to CME, however.