STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349917705.550945.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow.

LeDuff is a piece of work. And the city's apathy makes it so much worse.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Detroit? Detroit? Detroit?
Nope sorry doesn't ring a bell!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Detroit? Detroit? Detroit?
Nope sorry doesn't ring a bell!

Is that in Ohio? I Don't think it is around here anywhere.

Maybe Canada will buy it.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
For the record, I would probably really enjoy a month there. Maybe a few months, as long as I knew it was limited. I love being busy, I love doing EMS in a city.

But dude. Detroit is messed up.

I just had the opportunity to have a long chat with a teacher who spent her first few years teaching in a charter school in Detroit. Her first day on the job, her car was stolen. Her second day on the job, her husband's car was stolen.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
For the record, I would probably really enjoy a month there. Maybe a few months, as long as I knew it was limited. I love being busy, I love doing EMS in a city.

I just had the opportunity to have a long chat with a teacher who spent her first few years teaching in a charter school in Detroit. Her first day on the job, her car was stolen. Her second day on the job, her husband's car was stolen.

Just go to the south bronx... same deal but im sure gang violence is not quite so bad as Detroit.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Just go to the south bronx... same deal but im sure gang violence is not quite so bad as Detroit.

I only ever worked in a city that was really quite safe as long as you watched your mouth.

I think this video speaks volumes about this situation though. The disciplined medic was interviewed IN BED, in ZIPPER JAMMIES??? My 5 yo thinks he's too big for one-piece zipper jammies.

There are just too many oddities here, I can't imagine what the truth is.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm thinking I missed something by not watching the video.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I just watched the video, I sure am glad i only watch ABC local new. That news reporter, hold on let me look up a word for him.

goon

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

I remember a Detroit medic telling me his shift consisted of being shot at, having the computer stolen out of the cab while on scene, being assaulted by family and something else...and that was almost a normal shift happenings.

7887firemedic

Forum Crew Member
Worked there for years: Yes you get shot at, i had two trucks shot in 3 years. Yes anything of any worth will be stolen. You will end up fighting at least once a shift. People have been executed on stretchers, in hospitals etc... It was common to just be driving and find a shot up car full of ppl, drivebys, fire bombings, etc... Its a complete warzone! Add in all the normal runs ie suicides,mi,strokes, dib/sob, its enough to make a provider insane or more often turn to drugs or booze. But I loved it! The experience gained was second to none

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Everything. It has everything to do with it.

I disagree entirely. Historically, the fire service has been "boy scoutish," helping little old ladies across the street, going the extra mile for people in every conceivable situation.

This has little to do with fire department operated EMS and everything to do with what human behavior does in a war zone.

From the out-of-line chief who raised this stink in the first place, to the brat medic who allowed himself to be filmed in his cluttered-up bedroom, this smacks of just poor human behavior.

Like Maslow had something going when he categorized humanity's needs.