Detroit EMS hits a new low

Hockey

Quackers
I feel so bad for their personnel. And to get suspended after? Sounds like a possible whistleblower act violation.

FOX 2 has learned 31 out of 45 rigs are out of service. An EMS manpower sheet we obtained shows hardly any truck available.

"These trucks have sat here for months and months. It's a rotating cycle of hopelessness," said Detroit EMS Union President Wisam Zeineh.

However, it gets worse. Although 22 rigs are needed to respond to runs each day, union officials say right now only 14 to 16 are working. As a band aid fix, sources tell FOX 2 that EMTs and paramedics are being forced to drive a Detroit Fire Crown Victoria.
Read more:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-emts-forced-to-drive-crown-victorias-sources-say-20100812-wpms

Last edited by a moderator:

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Detroit EMS has been doing things similar to this for a while. They used to send all their medics out in Excursions.

They've also been known to put two licensed paramedics on an ambulance and make it a BLS unit, because the Medics weren't "promoted" to paramedic from EMT yet.

They've been having maintenance issues with their ambulance for years. Its not uncommon for them to have half of their units out of service for things like this.

This type of stuff is part of what is helping detroit to flush itself down the sh!tter.

Oh, and them suspending the EMT for talking to the news? They've been doing that type of stuff for years. DFD/EMS has had whisleblower lawsuits against them many times in the past. Nothing new there. The entire city government runs with a thug mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
... 22 trucks for a city the size of Detriot OMG!

Here in Aucklaned we have about 50 transporting vehicles plus SERT and Operations Team Managers out in rapid respionder 4x4s for a population of one million people!

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
detroit's population is only about 750,000 people right now. The land area is huge, but people are moving out of the city in droves. The city actually thought about using eminent domain to move everyone into the core of the city, then bulldozing everything in the outer ring... and .. get this...turning it into FARM LAND!

The city would be a 1/3 of its current size if they did this. Really sad, Detroit was my home... sad to see what its been reduced to.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
detroit's population is only about 750,000 people right now. The land area is huge, but people are moving out of the city in droves. The city actually thought about using eminent domain to move everyone into the core of the city, then bulldozing everything in the outer ring... and .. get this...turning it into FARM LAND!

The city would be a 1/3 of its current size if they did this. Really sad, Detroit was my home... sad to see what its been reduced to.

Flint wanted to do that. I say do it

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Flint wanted to do that. I say do it

They really need to. I feel awful for the people who will need to move, but the city is going to go bankrupt if they want to provide quality services to the people where they are now. In the end, the people will win because it will mean better schools and police and ems.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
They really need to. I feel awful for the people who will need to move, but the city is going to go bankrupt if they want to provide quality services to the people where they are now. In the end, the people will win because it will mean better schools and police and ems.

Have you ever BEEN to Detroit? lol...( on purpose?)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Detroit is a great city with a great history. 20 years of Coleman Young and 35 years of a leadership treating the city like its own personal piggy bank has stripped it of resources with little to no resistance from the public. Where is thier pride???Corruption and urban flight has taken such a toll. Residents of this once flourishing city, have no pride at all, no desire to survive. Other large cities have revived. Detroit could but it hasn't a leadership nor people who care enough to try. :sad:

PS: Word is, an EMS academy is due to start up in the near future.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

I've been once. I'm a UNC grad and was there for the national championship last year. They had downtown all spick and span for us. Seems like a really nice place, but I never got any closer to the outskirts than driving on the freeway...passed 8 Mile Rd every day.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant

From what I saw of Detroit I think it would be an improvement. :lol:

Wait ... would Uncle Ted have to move? :eek:

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
He lives over near jackson, MI about an hour-ish to the west. been out to his place there.. he has a nice little piece of land out there.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Detroit is a great city with a great history. 20 years of Coleman Young and 35 years of a leadership treating the city like its own personal piggy bank has stripped it of resources with little to no resistance from the public. Where is thier pride???Corruption and urban flight has taken such a toll. Residents of this once flourishing city, have no pride at all, no desire to survive. Other large cities have revived. Detroit could but it hasn't a leadership nor people who care enough to try. :sad:

PS: Word is, an EMS academy is due to start up in the near future.

Pride has nothing to do with it. The city is broke. The people are moving out in droves.. so their tax revenue has dropped drastically. Couple that with high unemployment ( more people that dont pay taxes) and the high level of people under the federal poverty level ( even more people that dont pay taxes) the city has ZERO money to fund day to day operations. Personally I think that city needs an enema.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Pride has nothing to do with it. The city is broke. The people are moving out in droves.. so their tax revenue has dropped drastically. Couple that with high unemployment ( more people that dont pay taxes) and the high level of people under the federal poverty level ( even more people that dont pay taxes) the city has ZERO money to fund day to day operations. Personally I think that city needs an enema.

Well, I like Detroit myself. Its history is amazing. It would be nice to see it downsized, overhauled and some new life brought into her. The ole city is just a shell of her former self...sad to see.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Well, I like Detroit myself. Its history is amazing. It would be nice to see it downsized, overhauled and some new life brought into her. The ole city is just a shell of her former self...sad to see.

I lived in detroit for several years. You're taking a risk stopping at traffic lights especially at night.

Sure, in a perfect world we could just go in and downsize and clean the city out. But where are going to get the money? What about the people that dont want to move out of their home or relocate?

True there is a lot of history in Detroit, and there are some very nice architecture in that city, some very old historic buildings. It could be much more than what it is, but things need to change. For starters they need to get the corruption out of the city government, and make cuts in the right areas. The people in the city need to take personal responsibility and pitch in too.

VinBin

Forum Captain
It's sad that the unions don't realize that they are part of the problem. There's a reason that Detroit is under such a massive budget deficit.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
It's sad that the unions don't realize that they are part of the problem. There's a reason that Detroit is under such a massive budget deficit.

This is just not true. 4 decades of corruption did more to ruin the city than any other single issue they've faced.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
This is just not true. 4 decades of corruption did more to ruin the city than any other single issue they've faced.

actually it IS true

Ever heard of a no work job?

Its a union term

Unions = corruption

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard