Decisions: To renew National Registry or not?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Yesterday I got the card in the mail with information to renew my national registry. I know we've talked about this in other threads, but with all these new members, I thought i'd post again.

NR Requires:
EMT Refresher - 48 Hours
48+ Hours of CEUs, 24 can be online

My state requires
30 Hours of CEUs, all can be online.

I dont think I'll be moving any time soon, but I hate to lose the registration. I need to get the EMT Refresher + 24 CEUs by March. I'm a college student, and don't have much extra time. I'm thinking Ill wait until past football season and take the refresher course, but I still need the CEUs.

What are your feelings on the topic?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Personally, I would keep the NR. I know it's a lot more hours, and it doesn't really mean much to most people but I feel as if it shows that I go the extra step to be the best medic that I can.

Also, you do not have to take the EMT refresher course as long as you have 48 hours of FORMAL CE's that fall into their designated catagories. This is how I did it when I renewed earlier this year. Formal CE's can be anything approved by your state EMS office, which may include some of your college courses (depending upon what you're taking).

And remember, it is much easier to maintain your NR than to get it again.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Those are my sentiments, I hate to lose it, then have to go back to get it in the future.

I'm not sure about not having to take the refresher course though, I've been told multiple things about that. I'll look into it a bit more.

Hopefully I can find time to do it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I can only tell you what I did for my renewal.

I did NOT take the refresher course. I took the required hours of formal CE's in the various catagories listed in the paperwork. The form you received should have a listing of the catagories and the required hours for each. In section 1A of the instruction sheet should be a bold statement that starts, "If a formal refresher course was not completed, Section 1A must be completed through continuing education hours..." Please note that you can not use online courses for this portion.

My question is why are you just now getting this paperwork? My understanding of the NREMT was that everybody expired on March 31, two years after their issue date.

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/rr_basic_history.asp
Basically it is like this:
You must complete 48 hours of general CEU's.
You must complete also either 48 hours of a refresher course OR find another 48 hours of CEU (or what ever hours required for your level) that meet the same criteria as the core content of a refresher course as if you had taken one.
On the form it list specific requiremnts met by certain courses like PHTLS, and BTLS or ACLS.

Hope this helps
steve