Deciding what to do

DesR

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm a newbie needing some advice on Paramedic vs Nurse.

I have a strong desire to be a paramedic but I have some concerns. When you become a paramedic it seems as though thats it. Your career opportunities seem to end. Is this true?
I know that there is a program to go from RN to paramedic, it is a 2 year wait after I become a nurse though and I don't necessarily want to wait that that long but I also don't want to get stuck.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hi, I'm a newbie needing some advice on Paramedic vs Nurse.

I have a strong desire to be a paramedic but I have some concerns. When you become a paramedic it seems as though thats it. Your career opportunities seem to end. Is this true?
I know that there is a program to go from RN to paramedic, it is a 2 year wait after I become a nurse though and I don't necessarily want to wait that that long but I also don't want to get stuck.
Welcome to the forum, not for nothing, but this topic has been beat to death. Perhaps peruse this thread:

http://emtlife.com/threads/paramedic-vs-er-nurse.44642/

I have been a paramedic ~10 years, and have had many "career opportunities" come my way. Op, it's really up to you to decide for yourself what you want out of it, but the "short-short-short" answer (yes, another "Spaceballs" reference) is it is sooo much easier to bridge from an RN to a paramedic. This isn't meant to be calloused, just blunt reality.

OP
OP
D

DesR

Forum Ride Along
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
If you go paramedic and then at a late date decide it's not for you, there's always paramedic to RN bridges.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
RN--> Medic gets my vote, but in the end it is you gotta make that choice. You know what you want better than we do.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If you go paramedic and then at a late date decide it's not for you, there's always paramedic to RN bridges.
Sure, you can, but I think many would agree it's so much easier on the opposite end of that spectrum.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
currently im an EMT with a B.S already, im getting my BSN in Nursing, starting in about a month. I wold also put a vote down for Nurse-> medic if you so choose. if you realllllly want EMS then you can get some CC certs and go on a CCT rig, or maybe HEMS but thats way in the future.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Get a Bachelors degree in whatever field you choose and it will give you more options later. Many schools offer an accelerated BSN program for people with bachelors degrees, most being a year long. I vote get your EMT-B and BSN, but I am biased.