decerebate posturing

anna

Forum Probie
so, weirdly, I was driving around town today and came up to some lights and things so I stopped and there were a couple of cops around this young woman, college student I guess, who was lying in the street. Seeing no ambulance around I parked and went over.

She had been shoplifting and got chased down by a store employee and pushed into traffic where she had acquired a head injury. I'm a nooob EMT and I work for a different company and I hadn't seen this type of injury before, but she was doing textbook decerebate posturing and was short of breath; Her pupils were fixed, dilated and she was quite unresponsive to anything. Anyway, the ambulance showed up and they kinda threw her on a gurney and didn't bother to stabilize her head, which proceeded to thrash around when she was secured to it.

I didn't think that was right, I'm almost sure that's not right, but at the same time I didn't feel qualified enough to say something about it..

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
so, weirdly, I was driving around town today and came up to some lights and things so I stopped and there were a couple of cops around this young woman, college student I guess, who was lying in the street. Seeing no ambulance around I parked and went over.

She had been shoplifting and got chased down by a store employee and pushed into traffic where she had acquired a head injury. I'm a nooob EMT and I work for a different company and I hadn't seen this type of injury before, but she was doing textbook decerebate posturing and was short of breath; Her pupils were fixed, dilated and she was quite unresponsive to anything. Anyway, the ambulance showed up and they kinda threw her on a gurney and didn't bother to stabilize her head, which proceeded to thrash around when she was secured to it.

I didn't think that was right, I'm almost sure that's not right, but at the same time I didn't feel qualified enough to say something about it..

I know there is research that says the C Collars and backboards are doing damage, but those few studies are not enough to deter me from completely using them, especially when my *** is on the line for not doing so. I would have certainly C-Spined that patient. You were correct to think something was up.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Blunt trauma, loss of consciousness, fixed and dilated pupils, and posturing? Yea, ok, even I'll admit that if a patient on physical exam might be helped, this would meet that mark.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Someone doing true decerebrate posturing is going to pivot around their c-spine, if you try to board them you'll make it worse - RSI and then collar, blocks and board is the way to go.

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
Edit:

Sorry, I misread you in your post, I thought it said the patient was thrashing around. My bad. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator: